Pinpointer - Minimax-PP II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinpointer - Minimax-PP II

Petrucho kindly sent me the artwork for his new pinpointer, the minimax-pp II a couple of weeks ago, the boards arrived just before the long easter weekend, so one evening I got to work, I think I need reading glasses soon , those smd components are so small you dare not sneeze

After finding one bad solder joint it fired into life and results are surprisingly good, I'll do a video soon of mine, you can see Petrucho's on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imhGpBacQ00

I'm not sure if I can offer this as a project, the smd components come taped and are so small, separating them and packing them would be a nightmare, most are not identified by any markings making things even more difficult

I have a few boards though so if you are ordering from my shop and would like a board, drop me a note and I'll add one to your order

happy hunting

Silverdog
    Attached Files

Very cool, it will make a nice compact pointer.

Comment

Nice and wery handy. Thank you Silverdog.
      Regards
      Detecto

Comment

Great job!!
        I try to build, but not found this components:
        BAV99
        DMN2075U
        MMBT4401
        I can replace them with another type?
        Sorry for my bad english

Comment

It is ingenious! There are several things to steal here for further projects.

Comment

Originally posted by anz29 View Post
            Great job!!
            BAV99
            DMN2075U
            MMBT4401
            Sorry for my bad english
            These components are not that much unique and there surely are equivalents. I found that IRLML2502TRPBF replaces DMN2075U
            Same goes for other components - just find what footprint and type is a component and google does the rest.

Comment

Thanks Davor!
              I tried google, but have no luck!
              I will try again

Comment

Will be nice to make component list with more common components.

Comment

Originally posted by anz29 View Post
                  Great job!!
                  BAV99
                  DMN2075U
                  MMBT4401
                  Sorry for my bad english

BAV99 - Petrucho says can be replaced by 2 serial connected 1n4148
                  DMN2075U - I used 2N7000
                  MMBT4401 - bipolar NPN, BC817 ?

Comment

Perhaps a better idea would be to keep the concept as is, and replace all components with all through hole components. SMDs are pain in the lower back to sort out even when you have them. Classic through hole can't be much larger. It will be lots beefier though. Does not seem as a big problem.

Comment

I say make the kit. The appeal is the small size.

A through hole version would be huge, almost the size of a regular detector PCB.

We are all going to have to learn SMD one day if we want to continue on in these electronic hobbies. This is a perfect project to learn.

Put the parts in separate little bags with the value written on it,(or not) the user can verify the parts with an ohm meter.

I check all my regular sized parts for tolerance / accuracy anyways, so it's really not a big deal from that point of view.
                      How would you ever know if you get a mislabeled or out of tolerance part if you dont check?

Tin one pad with solder, put the part on and heat, then solder the other side, done.
                      You don't even have to trim the leads.
                      Just don't drop them lol.
                      Last edited by UFO; 04-11-2012, 10:33 PM. Reason: splelin

Comment

No, I think you missed my point. There are but few components here and it would not get too big -SMD or not.

I am OK with SMDs as I was OK back in '93 when I earned my NABER certificate. Their footprints didn't change at all. However, I am not happy with SMDs in my hobby projects. I often replace things, and SMDs are generally not happy with that.

Comment

I guess I'm supposed be impressed because you were certified as a radio technician in the 1990s?

Since we are browbeating, I design and build my own amplifiers with technology from the 1930s.
                          Attached Files

Comment

MINIMAX-PP_ II sprint layot unchecked

unchecked!
                            Regards detecto
                            Attached Files

Comment

And you can make high-quality printed circuit board under the DIP items? And select all change (under the more extended ones details.) Thank you in advance.

Comment

Working...
                              X