No announcement yet.

Building a Metal Detector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great, RelicHunter88, now you have finally received the "plate of treasures"

But I suspect it is from kt315 (Lituania) and because of his totally
    unqualified opinions about the Jeohunter I guess his Cobra could
    be the same worse.

Anyway I don't wanna make you feel bad, RelicHunter, have fun
    with this little project and hope you will get a nice working
    selfbuilt-detector. btw. I have built already my first detector
    20 years ago and in 2010 i built a high sens. electrostatic detector.

RelicHunter88 wrote:

Funfinder, if someone hears you he will thing that you want to come here to execute "Black Operations"...
    While you are interested only in hot girls and a little bit treasure hunting...

"a little bit treasure hunting", you are funny !!!!

I'm here since 2010 for everything related with treasure-hunting incl.
    repairing, modifications, circuits, coil-stuff, testing detectors, discussing
    important topics plus almost thousands of hours real life treasure hunting!

And of course I have alot experience with relics, because I found already
    many cannon-balls and other such stuff - btw. alot with the Jeohunter!

Yesterday I was out in the woods again with it because with it's huge coil
    it is much more better for finding the big and deep stuff! It was so much
    fun that I even hunted until late in the dark with head-lamp, until midnight.
    "Alone in the dark" but for luck in our woods are no bears, alligators, snakes -
    there are just some "evil" insects.

by relics i mean everything from 1821 AD on (anything older in my country is considered antiquity and it is illegal to posses),
    But this suggested that all newer finds are not illegal but it seems
    that in Greece already completly every rusty nail is illegal, too!

The problem was that YOU have started this thread already with the
    "lecal issues included" so that some others picked it up.

laws in Greece, wanna find 2ww relics, giving out your address...
    Acting like this and someone could catch you real fast!

And the BIG question is:
    Will you really find relics from 1821 to 1900 or just
    sometimes absolutly dangerous 1 & 2 WW stuff ???

Oh yeah, before I forgot it:
    If you wanna find interesting mineralic stones you absolutly need a
    detector that can detect those, too. Like the Jeohunter or the Blisstool.

You can't know this by now but this has to do with manual ground
    balance and "full mineralic to metal detection range".
    Meanwhile I have already a collection of very special stones (up to 10kg each)
    aka erratic boulders that have been transported at ice age 100s of kms by glaciers.

btw. how many kms you have to travel from Athens approx. to get
    to some interesting sites, besides the Acropolis? But I doubt there
    is alot relic stuff to find - this site for shure is full of chewing-gum papers,
    coke cans and other tourist-remainings.

RelicHunter88, you may read a bit my Jeohunter Thread because this is
    THE detector for relics and mineralic stones or cavity at all! Of course you
    won't spent over 2500 Euros but you can get an impression what really counts.
    As example a large coil, I told you already.

And if you have a good pinpointer you will have the half of
    digging work and save alot of time, too.

Thanks for the offer, but first I have to got to Greece or Athens and
    then I will check out the celebrities and their life aka "Party-Time!"

Yeah, Mozart sounds nice! But as twen I prefered
    listen to Black Metal and Hardcore Speed Trance.
    And you can still tinker after some bottles of "Ziporo" as long as you
    know the correct side holding the soldering-iron!

Anyway, good luck and good progress, hope you have already the
    needed electronical parts and the copper wire for the coil.

Selfbuilt or selffound stuff always brings more joy then bought!

But personally I only hope for you that you will be able to detect
    (whatsoever) yet in this year! So please tell about your progress.

Comment

Well, King Cobra is mostly a copy of the original PCB, so i guess it will work something like the original. If not, a home-made detector will be a good start. At least is will detect stuff.
      Most war relics are large anyway.

About the law, a Browning M2 made before 1945 can be (probably) collected in working condition. Live ammo can be collected too if made before 1945. So the law is not only to harass the collectors, but to keep them from selling these weapons illegally.
      At least we are allowed to collect all that stuff with a simple permit and registration of each weapon, so it is not that bad for a country where lawful possession of firearms is considered something really "evil".
      The government can of course take away all that stuff in a single night, but anyway...

There are sites near Athens. When we say that for each square meter of land, a Hellene gave his live, we mean it literally. You can found relics anywhere, from ancient times till the Civil war era.

Comment

Bad news guys...

I have to move to a new apartment, so i will have to carry stuff the next days.
        I cannot, i would prefer not to solder anything at that time, because i would be tired and this free time will be for relaxing anyway. (I might practice some soldering though...)

In the mean time, i can do a few minor things.

I got a sound card, a Xonar DG, it was the only card around.
        The next logical step now is to find a "good" probe for this card to order from E-bay, first thing when i got into the new apartment.
        Any suggestions?

Comment

Hi RelicHunter88

You should use the time to check out the following ebooks here in my forum:

US Army MM 2598 course - Identifying Ammunition MM2598.pdf

Metal Detector Handbook For Humanitarian Demining (European Union Release).pdf

rps-ref62-kmb-kampfmittel identifizierungskatalog (Identification manual german).pdf
          If you are registered you may see also some real war-relic finds there in some time.

So at least you know where you may run into soon!

Yesterday I saw a docu about the east german border line -
          it was mined over 100 of kms and even instructed border-patrols did run into the mines and lost legs etc.!

There are also some interesting remainings at the border from Bulgaria to Greece from the iron curtain times.... And not few "outbreakers" died there...

You have to be especially carefully at starting time, don't make beginner mistakes:

The best assurance is acting as secret as possible, use tarning clothes, hunt at times and sites where (almost) no people will cross your ways, don't show critical stuff you have found directly to other persons and always dig with a shovel from all sites with 5-10cm distance to the find (loud detection signal).

This preserves precious finds but it also can save your life if it's something dangerous. Always have some soft plastic-bags or paper stuff to transport this stuff save. Avoid any pressure, hits or heavy vibrations.

Be shure noone can get access to your treasure-hunting files or notes and store your relics at a real save place. There are too many treasure hunters in Europe that store their dangerous finds in the garage-room or even in garden-shacks.
          Some of those are frighten and scare the whole neighborhood!
          They're acting really irresponsible - so please don't risk the life of innocent people!

Comment

Hi
            Takling of Relics and military finds, im in the middle of making a very large coil for my Minipulse 3
            Theres woods just up the road from me that have been detected to death over the years, so when going up with any of my detectors in the past which up to now have all been I/B format the ground runs silent for many hundreds of yards at a time with the random small iron dtection which is normally old horse shoe nails.
            Anyway to cut along story short its around this lacation where the battles of 1066 took place, which went on for over a week, so im certain after doing months and months of research theres stuff to be had deep down.
            My plan is twofold firstly going up there with the Whites DFX programed with non motion and no disc at all working with just the signagraph looking for solid lines, using 1400 coil, which makes this machine deepest it can go with coil size.
            Then once ive finshed the 1m coil for the Mininpulse 3 which is P/I format, and see if i get results with that.
            If any of you can give any tips on deep digging would be greatfull because although I have 45 years detecting under my belt im virgin to P/I detecting and also novis to using large coils.
            Once people start talking relics and or military, could chat on all day, ive got some excellent finds that ive made over the years.
            This has gone way off topic here sorry for that, Shall I start a new thread on the subject?

Comment

dark treasure, i will store any dangerous stuff very safely, like this:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2SyY...eature=related

Safety first. Do not worry and thanks for the advises.

satdaveuk, hunting deep forgotten relics is not of topic, it is something i will do as well, and if the king Cobra can handle a big coil, like 1m, i will build one for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by RelicHunter88 View Post
                dark treasure, i will store any dangerous stuff very safely, like this:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2SyY...eature=related

Safety first.
                If those video is as example of safely manipulation with ammunitions, the what can be unsafely treatment?

Comment

You do not want to know...

And i actually posted this video as a joke. If i found any explosive stuff, i will call the Army for disposal. It is dangerous and illegal to keep such unstable explosive devices in your home. Not even museums keep live explosives, and these old grenades are so rusty, that cannot be defused, or opened for removal of explosives.

Basically, if i run into such things, i will kindly donate them to dark treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by RelicHunter88 View Post
                    You do not want to know...

And i actually posted this video as a joke. If i found any explosive stuff, i will call the Army for disposal. It is dangerous and illegal to keep such unstable explosive devices in your home. Not even museums keep live explosives, and these old grenades are so rusty, that cannot be defused, or opened for removal of explosives.

Basically, if i run into such things, i will kindly donate them to dark treasure.
                    I buried some old explosives years ago deep in a field, never got round to reporting them, and now its to late cause they have built houses there

Comment

• If it was legal for you to bury them do not worry.
                      If ti was not, admiring it openly to a forum is not the best idea.

Comment

• @ satdaveuk

> If any of you can give any tips on deep digging would be greatfull because although I have 45 years detecting under my belt im virgin to P/I detecting and also novis to using large coils.

I can give you some tips searching with large coils:
                        The object below (7-8cm in size) was found at 50cm depth but
                        the ground was very low mineralic humus, rooten leafs and roots.
                        The ground had already some sort of hole there which was filled
                        up with this stuff over the years. Found with the Garrett GTI 1500
                        and the 45cm Detech Excelerator coil.

The best results in large areas you can get with ca. 50cm coils
                        that are lightweight and on a long rod so the sweeps have a
                        reach distance of 2-3m from one side to the other.

That way you can even find something at real untouched places.
                        Metal was spread by gunpower, horses, soldiers, shoes (nails),
                        war-explosives, fireworks, by wind (alu foil etc.), animals
                        (dogs, cows, sheeps, etc.) vehicles, water and meteorites.

In the middle of nowhere you can find bells, nails, bullets,
                        granade-shards, rusty wire, rings, keys, coins and much more.

All you need is a very high Squaremeter per Minute ratio
                        or an extensive long search period.

Originally posted by satdaveuk View Post
                        I buried some old explosives years ago deep in a field, never got round to reporting them, and now its to late cause they have built houses there
                        I heard rumors that a person I knew as child also buried a chest
                        with such stuff somewhere near where I live but so far I haven't
                        found it. Guess it was in the 50s or 60s. This was nothing unusual
                        at that time and those were responsable persons because in some
                        regions there was so many war-remaining stuff scattered all around
                        that even childs found it without any detector and "played" with it.

As long as those new house-owners don't dig too deep for their
                        potatoes everything should be fine, satdaveuk.

@ RelicHunter88

> There are sites near Athens. When we say that for each square meter of land, a Hellene gave his live, we mean it literally. You can found relics anywhere, from ancient times till the Civil war era.

Each squaremeter would be a little bit much blood-sheding:

1square km = 1.000.000 squaremeter x 132.000 =
                        132.000.000.000 or 132.000 millions of dead greeks!
                        At the moment Greece has 10 Million people.

Anyway, your problem could be all the trash that also
                        is everywhere. For 1 relic you may find 50 trash objects.
                        Or relics that are literally trash, like empty rounds or shards.

And use a real good coil-cable if you wanna built your
                        detector as a lightweight hang around the neck model.

Do you have collected already all needed parts?

btw. yesterday I could repair my broken DVD-recorder!
                        This was nearly a wonder because a crucial important chip
                        was burned that managed the different input and output
                        selection pathes for the recording (SCART, Line-In, TV-Tuner)

Well, chips are (self-)destructable, even good ones from Philips.
                        But I guess the culprit was overheating or a PCB layout error.

Because of this burned chip no more sound was recordable
                        or audible at all. I have simply bypassed it and this
                        way I have saved that DVD-Recorder from 2008 from
                        the trash or just being a replacement part object.

Electronical knowledge really pays off!
                        250 Euro for a new DVD or Harddisk recorder saved.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Over the last 4.000 - 5.000 it is quite possible that many more that 10 million Hellenes gave their lives for their Country or City-State, or Kingdom, or Empire, etc.

Possibly not 130 billion, but many millions died in battle from 3.000 BC until today.
                          So it is not that literal, but because we do not know the exact spots, is like there is one for each square meter.

Also there where so many battles at ancient times between City-States, and so you can find relics everywhere. Hellenes also build cities, and you can also find remains everywhere near those cities as well, just visit our Metro and see all the exhibited things they dug up when they where building the Metro. But this are marble or clay, nothing you can find with a detector.

You can find many things near Athens. Most of them will be ancient and illegal to collect anyway, other things are for 1821 Revolution, WWII and Civil war. Many of those may be buried deep beneath the City, but there is stuff to be found if you have time to dig (and a permission too).

You can also go to city's outskirts or a little far away. Many places hide precious relics.
                          But i am interested in relics from 1821, which i can collect.

And there are many WWII relics to be fund, specially thanks to communist resistance fighters, who had stashes everywhere (they keep doing that through the Civil War as well). In WWII, Germans took everything with them and left to defend Germany from the Allies, so German relics a little more hard to find.
                          (Once i had see a Panzerfaust in Monastiraki, with head and very rusty, but it was probably a copy, rusted to look original.)

Comment

• Personally I think the east mediterranean hotheaded mentality has a
                            big problem with conflicts. We see this with Cyprus, Israel, Lebanon,
                            Egypt and of course very actually with Syria. Wars, wars, wars!

Many of the people there are so extremly proud of their pride they
                            will sacrifice everything for their reputation and honor, land, woman
                            and children. No wonder that everywhere are war relics of all times...

Today I read the following article about the greek finance-crisis:
                            http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griechische_Finanzkrise
                            (german but just check out the length, or translate it)

Greece is almost like North-Korea, stuffing the whole debts-money
                            into the Military. No wonder the folk is suffering, the life-quality
                            is destroyed and the suicide-rate has doubled already so that even
                            good hearted 77year old pharmacy man Dimitris Christoulas 'quit'.

Back to topic:
                            I think "good connections" are everywhere in the world the same
                            important. Influence and friends in powerful positions.

If you are just an anonymous treasure-hunter from a huge city
                            with no contacts to the police, mayority, military commanders etc.
                            you could get much easier trouble as if you have already got some
                            reputation as a cooperating person that also benefits something for
                            the public interests.

We also have some laws about old monument or sites stuff and
                            archeological protection stuff but we too have the old orientalic
                            tradition of "doing favors" or giving presents (aka fakelaki) and
                            that way you can work much more relaxed and everywhere
                            accepted as treasure hunter. As example already 2 villages
                            got a nice litte but still rare collection of 200 year old war relics
                            from me (see below). And this was just the first step, roman
                            antiques may follow if I have found enough of the same type
                            of them. btw. I was the very first person that was being able
                            to find all this stuff and provide it at all, since a very long time.

3 years ago I showed some of my finds already to the little greek
                            restaurant owners here, but those have moved back to Greece again.

At Turkey there exists a law that historical and even nature-objects
                            must not transported out of the country. Guess in Greece this is the
                            same - perhaps concerning even those underwater bath-sponges.

The topic is interesting, because no matter what you are searching
                            you will stumble over forbidden antique stuff in Greece but what
                            do you intend to to with it? Leave it in the ground (what a waste),
                            give it away for free to the perhaps still corrupt authorities or hide
                            it somewhere? This is just a theoretical question because if you
                            answer it in the public it could be problematically.

But it is an interesting question because at the one hand perhaps
                            even you have really the need for more money or wealth and on
                            the other the laws even forbid to get some extra income by
                            selling antiques. Kinda double-mill.

Laws sometimes are totally crazy. As example if it is more illegal
                            to collect some buried lost antique stuff as downloading new music,
                            games, movies, software, ebooks etc. If you mod your Playstation
                            and play imported or burned games nobody cares but if you touch
                            the holy ground of antique history it is a crime against civilisation.

I think the reason is pure and evil GREED!
                            The real treasure objects are very rare and unique and if you find
                            one of those the GREED reaches extreme peak-values, higher than
                            it is with Gold. Just like its with really rare and very pure gemstones.

And alot of the collectors are maniacs anyway! If they see something
                            they wanna must have they can go literally over bodys to get their
                            items. But that's the way the money goes, just look at the big
                            auctions at Sotheby's. And this greed is also a problem of "justified
                            property". Persons don't have the power or will to get the most out
                            of their own land and ground but are very jealous if a treasurehunter
                            is "stealing" there something they think it's their own property.

That's why such laws have been created that the half of the treasure
                            belongs to the finder and the other to the land owner. But the
                            government think it is the land owner of the whole country and
                            it has the right of disposal about the whole history of this country
                            that's why they simple can confiscate treasures and leave landowner
                            and finder left with empty hands or even punishments.

Comparable with desertion or running away from a country that
                            does not allow the people to leave without extra permission!

The low folk is the slave of the rich and mighty and has to be
                            productive in any economical aspects for them, especially in
                            paying taxes and hard working.

Scientifcally seen this is a conflict of different interests and of
                            real versus theoretical power or property. And if the treasure-hunter
                            finds something of interest he creates "real property" and starts to
                            be a factor for supply and demand. Economically seen you are
                            a treasure- or antiques-producer if you find something valuable.

It is a bad basis but that's how this life very often works:
                            Plunder (your country) or get plundered ...
                            This starts already with getting enough food to survive.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Well, the Greek economy is in pretty bad condition, but we are not like North Korea...

Most of the money do not go into the Armed Forces, there are wasted here and there, shared between politicians and the people who supported their political campaigns. Simple soldier who serve their mandatory service get what? Eight euros per month? Something like that.

And you can see that from what we buy. We bought Leopard 2 tanks without ammo and without replacement parts...

Simply, we do not spent our money wisely, so we messed up!

Suicide rates have gone much higher than double. 2.300 suicides the last year... Very concerning indeed. Also homeless people have increased, and unemployment is sky-high.

Mediterranean peoples are indeed a little bit more "hotheaded", but do not worry,modern Greeks are of peace.
                              You have good points, we have done many destructive wars for no reason, humankind is a child-like, savage species sometimes...

What i personally believe about law, is that you should be able to search, dig and collect anything, as long you do not take it outside your country, and you do not sell it to a foreigner without permission. That way the historical heritage of each country will remain in that country, and what foreign museums and collectors will get can be regulated. But politicians seem to want anything for themselves.
                              So for us who love history, finding antiquities, it would be a temptation to keep them to preserve them and save them. I really do not know what i will think if i find antiquities. I am not in that position and i never was before...

BACK TO DETECTORS

If i understand it correctly, i need a probe with a 3.5mm jack to connect it with my sound card?
                              What should i look for on E-bay?

Comment

• Also one more thing.
                                I practiced soldering, and i had crappy results. My soldering iron is 15W only. I believe it is not sufficient and the solder cools before a good join has been made. Most joins came out cold...

Can anyone suggest me a good soldering iron or soldering station?

Comment

Working...
                                X