• Show
Clear All

• Newbie question about the Vibra-Tector 730

Hello,
    I just bought a vibra tector for 3 major reasons :
    - it is totally waterproof 30m deep
    - it is very simple to use
    - it has a little size and can be manipulated easily under water

But, its detecting range is about 3 inches, wich is really short.
    My question is very simple :
    Would it be possible to increase this detecting range with one or two inches without having to do something too complicated?
    I can sacrifice mine for science if necessary

Originally posted by Lagonaute View Post
    Hello,
    I just bought a vibra tector for 3 major reasons :
    - it is totally waterproof 30m deep
    - it is very simple to use
    - it has a little size and can be manipulated easily under water

My question is very simple :
    Would it be possible to increase this detecting range with one or two inches without having to do something too complicated?
    The Vibra-Tector 730 is a pulse induction detector with a 4" coil; so I would have expected a better detection range than 3". However, in this review ->
    http://metaldetectingworld.com/219-1...tector730.html
    the author makes the same statement: "I'm not sure you will get a whole lot more than 3"-4" on a coin- or ring-sized object but most items in swim areas and such are not much deeper than 3"-4".

It's also micro-processor controlled, and therefore would be difficult to modify. As you're prepared to sacrifice it to science ... any chance of some photos of the insides?

Comment

A larger coin or a solid golden ring gets detected close to 4", but not much more. I think it could reach almost double with this size of coil - but I expect tiny SMD parts inside and that taking out the board would destroy the waterproof case.

I still have my Surf PI board with the intention of building a deeper detector for snorkeling. I would say most of the good stuff is deeper than 4 inches...However the VT730 is a nice toy and I have found a few coins with it

Comment

I'm not sure about the design, but with PI, you could always try increasing the flyback voltage?? Like Qiaozhi mentioned earlier, it's uC controlled, so much more difficult to modify.

You need to draw yourself a schematic before undertaking anything. That way, if anything goes wrong, you could more readily repair it.

Comment

thank you very much

Comment

I'm interested in the same thing, to increase its detection range. I have taken that thing apart and will post some pictures. Hopefully someone might have some ideas.

Thanks

Comment

Don't know why but i can't post pictures here so i uploaded it to a different site the links is:

http://postimage.org/image/z6i6e6vjl/

Comment

Originally posted by Lagonaute View Post

uC = Micro Controller (Chips, IC = integrated Circuits, intelligent Circuits)
                f*n' shorts

Of course you can improve depth.
                Add adjustable metal part to get border sensitivity.

This is another proof how stupid the MD world works -
                otherwise every single pinpointer would have this since a long time!

Comment

Are you sure, Funfinder? The VibraProbe is a motion type detector, so IMHO any metal close to the coil would actually reduce the depth...am I right?

By the way, I was talking to a detectorist who has used the VibraTector in Croatia to snorkel and he said he dug things out of 15 cm depth in the water, so it is not that bad. He showed me some nice pieces of gold and said that he used a found diamond ring to fund his own wedding

Comment

Originally posted by SikFuk View Post
                    Don't know why but i can't post pictures here so i uploaded it to a different site the links is:

http://postimage.org/image/z6i6e6vjl/
                    You can only attach pictures after you have made at least one post.

Comment

Originally posted by pelanj View Post
                      Are you sure, Funfinder? The VibraProbe is a motion type detector, so IMHO any metal close to the coil would actually reduce the depth...am I right?

By the way, I was talking to a detectorist who has used the VibraTector in Croatia to snorkel and he said he dug things out of 15 cm depth in the water, so it is not that bad. He showed me some nice pieces of gold and said that he used a found diamond ring to fund his own wedding
                      According to the review (and my memory before) the Vibra Probe
                      is Pulse Induction and not VLF motion.
                      And for PI, motion (moving the detector too fast) is not good at all.

For the Garrett Pro Pointer this mod is very simple.
                      If used for underwater you have to care that it's still
                      waterproof after mod.

The simplest method is to bend an iron screw that is about 3mm
                      thick everywhere and 3cm long to 90 degree at the middle and screw
                      it half way into the housing near the coil so it's within the detection
                      range so you get the needed effect while turning slowly.

That "Mini-detector" maybe just fine for secret treasure hunting
                      if croatian laws are too dangerous BUT there exists serious PIs
                      for diving or snorkeling with coils diameter of at least 15cm so
                      you get much better chances to find stuff at a reasonable time.

Anyway thx fo the cute story with the diamond ring and the
                      wedding - it's always fantastic if a detector for low money
                      sometimes finds real precious stuff.

Comment

You must move the object (or the detector) to get a signal - it is a PI, but with motion circuitry. I have one, so I know

Comment

thx for the info, but in that case you are outta luck!

This is total idiotical - with a pinpointer someone wants to get the
                          EXACT location and not a blurry location because the coil must be
                          moved all the time.

Another example how people exchance reasonability or
                          meaningfulness with idleness.

"The coil is so small so it doesn't matter if we integrate such
                          a blurring circuit aka auto adjustment". For a pinpointer!
                          This is a pinpointer and not a move-point-mover!

What is this Vibra-Tector 730 ?
                          Is this a pinpointer at all or is it a little PI toy for kids?
                          For a serious underwater PI for shure it is too small!

I know it, it's a massage toy for Jacuzzi owners that
                          wanna play with their girlfriends intim-piercings!

Here is the technical info about this stuff:

Automatic tuning, or S.A.T. (Self Adjusting Threshold) offers a significant advantage when searching in and out of salt water or over mineralized ground. S.A.T. helps keep the metal detector operating at maximum sensitivity without requiring constant adjustments by the operator. It improves the stability, reduces noise, and allows higher gain settings to be used. PI metal detectors do not emit strong, negative signals like a VLF. As such they do not "overshoot" on pockets of mineralization. With S.A.T. the coil must be kept in motion while detecting a target. Stopping over a target will cause the S.A.T. to tune it out or cease responding.

Comment

you have to find the target at FIRST by your underwater detector. pinpointer is ONLY helper in your hunting. nothing more. it has LOW sens vs your Garrett Infinium, I believe you have bought Infinium, if still not -- what the problem? we say here "an oil must be in the head at first, and maybe on sandwich too".

Comment

Working...
                            X