Building a Metal Detector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi RelicHunter88
    use Sound Card in your pc & soft name in reply #33------> u have SCOPE.
    best time
    j

Comment

I do not have any sound card in my PC. I use the integrated circuits from my motherboard.

Anyway, will someone from the cards posted work? I cannot find any other cards, they have disappeared from the stores, and even those need to be ordered via the store because small local stores keep no stock!

Comment

Built in
        j.

Comment

@ RelicHunter88

Thx for the reply infos. Well, amateur geology also is interesting.

For war-relics it would be good if you find a treasure-hunting friend from Greece that has already some experience with this, he may know how dangerous some kind of stuff now after 70 years is or not. He also could show you the good places or he may tell you about Nazi Gold rumors.

You can get simple scope included in Multimeter that has dot LCD screen, perhaps much cheaper than new soundcard. Check out your local Housebuilt-Market or Electronic-Shop.

But you also can built a detector and coil without a scope - if the coil doesn't work good enough add or remove some windings etc.

Anyway, hurry, otherwise you will never get finished with your project! Set priorities, a scope is not the most important stuff you need.

A few days ago I was looking for mushrooms at some woods but took my detector with large coil there. Surprise - I found 2 granades "in the middle of nowhere" - far away from any possible combat-zones.

I really had to laugh and think about you in that situation - what a coincidence!

There are no mined areas where I'm living but still more than enough remainings of World War 2.

You wanna find war-relics? You're at the right address, I've found already many many of those.
          One tip: Dig carefully from all sides and better don't use a pick-axe!

Comment

Originally posted by jap View Post
            Built in
            j.
            Laugh, but this build in card can support a 5.1 sound system!

dark treasure, do now worry. I will order my PCB in the next few hours. This project will move forward. I am just trying to do some thing simultaneously. Until the PCB arrives, i have an oscilloscope ready if i find a card for the job, and maybe a vacuum forming machine.

Thank you for your interest and advices. Do not worry, i do know how to dig out ferus targets. My grandfather taught me some things he learned in the army.
            Most of this stuff are 70-60 years old and completely rusted to the point they are rendered useless, but the danger remains. In most cases they do not blow up if you are careful.

Comment

UPDATE
              Yesterday i ordered a PCB.

I decided to go with King Cobra, because (at least theoretical) seems to be more advanced, ti has the useful for me, discrimination, and it is something that was not done before, and i like to do a little "pioneering", unless of course i mess up the PCB.

The PCB was a little expensive though, but with all the land mines and bombs in my country, i wanted a home made detector with the best discrimination possible, and i believe that King Cobra has that.

So i now must wait for the PCB to arrive.
              In the meantime i have to do the following:

1) Get a Sound Card.
              2) Find and order a probe for the sound card to work as oscilloscope.
              3) Find out how to make a coil.
              4) Build a Vacuum Forming Machine.
              5) Scavenge or buy electronic components.
              6) Build a good pinpointer.
              7) Design the Metal Detector.

Comment

1) your motherboard sound can do, but if you want more, get a soundcard for sure.
                2) You can improvise here, but it is always better to have a real probe
                3) Go with DD coil, it is not too complicated and you can get all support you need here
                4) Vacuum is a total overkill if you need just one or two probes. I made a coil on a plexiglass cut into an ellipse. Otherwise you can order a shell with Petravka, or some other colleagues here
                5) Buy new components and spare yourself the trouble
                6)
                7)

Comment

1) If i do not found a card, i will do that. I need a card anyway, not only for this project.
                  2) I will probably get one from E-bay. I do not want to improvise because i have no knowledge of how these things work and the oscilloscope can be crucial.
                  3) Can a DD coil work with a VLF detector? If yes, it is good?
                  4) I have already found many uses for this machine, so i will build one.
                  5) I do prefer to buy, but i have PCB for electronic devices that where old and retired, but where not broken. So i practice soldering, and i remove components in case i cannot find something. Just in case. You know, killing my time...
                  6) Thanks!
                  7) Thanks! This will probably get done before i got the PCB, if someone can give me the dimensions of the real box, or the dimensions of the PCB itself.
                  I believe i will have anything designed, minus the PCB box, before the PCB arrives.

Comment

Hi RelicHunter88
                    1,2,4,5,6--Normal to do.
                    3-coil must be done in order to comply work with pcb King Cobra,Specifications will need to be installed coil,Or buy one compatible ready to work.
                    7-Design the Metal Detector...What do you mean.....?
                    best time
                    j.

Comment

I do not mean to design a PCB of course.

I mean to design the shaft, handle, hand support and things like where the PCB box will be, where the battery will be and such. Generally, make a Blueprint of the detector.

Same thing will be done for the coil if i make one.

You will see.
                      I have already done some concept designs.

Comment

Originally posted by RelicHunter88 View Post
                        3) Can a DD coil work with a VLF detector? If yes, it is good?
                        It is good and it is very common.

Comment

For this detector i will be satisfied only with the best coil possible.

Before i build a coil, i would have to have an oscilloscope ready, also also i will have to learn a few things more about coils. I can admit that i do not know anything about coils...

Comment

Originally posted by RelicHunter88 View Post
                            For this detector i will be satisfied only with the best coil possible.

Before i build a coil, i would have to have an oscilloscope ready, also also i will have to learn a few things more about coils. I can admit that i do not know anything about coils...
                            Start reading here ->
                            http://www.geotech1.com/pages/metdet/info/coils.pdf

Comment

Will print and read A.S.A.P.

Comment

I read it.

So, to my understanding, a concentric coil will be more sensitive with better discrimination, but a DD coil will go deeper. Also the DD will work better in mineralized soil.

But, will the DD coil have good discrimination for relatively big ferus objects?
                                I do now want to dig straight done believing that i dig atop a chest full of gold, only to step into an old forgotten land mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X