No announcement yet.

atmega8 programming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This burn o mat program needs a bit more investigation, but I am suspicious that it may have a bug, been looking at the fuses as calculated at this other site. Are there any ATmega8 experts reading this, we need to know the high and low fuse bits I think

http://www.engbedded.com/fusecalc/

Comment

Originally posted by 6666 View Post
      This burn o mat program needs a bit more investigation, but I am suspicious that it may have a bug, been looking at the fuses as calculated at this other site. Are there any ATmega8 experts reading this, we need to know the high and low fuse bits I think

http://www.engbedded.com/fusecalc/
      Hello 6666,
      I downloaded this from the german site regarding fuses for that project..
      Damit alles beim Alten bleibt wurde der AD-Wandler
      auf AVCC gesetzt.

Fusebits siehe AVR-Studio.

Brown-out detection level at VCC=4,0V
      Brown-out detection enabled

Ext- Crystal/Resonator Medium Freq.Start time 16K CK+64ms

Diese Fusebits sind für ATMega8/16MHz.
      Es sollte gleich dieser Typ eingesetzt werden da
      ich die Software noch für 16MHz und AD-Referenz intern 2.5V
      geplant habe.

I dont have that chip on hand ATM,but may get one to investigate.
      Question..Does this minipulse have somfink we dont know about??
      or are we just helping a fellow MD'er.LOL

Any clue?
      Cheers
      John

Comment

Originally posted by johnandles View Post
        Hello 6666,
        I downloaded this from the german site regarding fuses for that project..
        Damit alles beim Alten bleibt wurde der AD-Wandler
        auf AVCC gesetzt.

Fusebits siehe AVR-Studio.

Brown-out detection level at VCC=4,0V
        Brown-out detection enabled

Ext- Crystal/Resonator Medium Freq.Start time 16K CK+64ms

Diese Fusebits sind für ATMega8/16MHz.
        Es sollte gleich dieser Typ eingesetzt werden da
        ich die Software noch für 16MHz und AD-Referenz intern 2.5V
        geplant habe.

I dont have that chip on hand ATM,but may get one to investigate.
        Question..Does this minipulse have somfink we dont know about??
        or are we just helping a fellow MD'er.LOL

Any clue?
        Cheers
        John
        John your guess is as good as mine but at the end of the day, with standalone chip setup around the ATmega 8 we should be able to program it.
        Im still waiting for delivery of another 2 chips because maybe buggered the last two up by getting a short on the main Minipulse 3 pcb while making it.
        Im so suprised that this been a public forum that nobody has has actually been able to program the chip.
        Ive spent hours on the net looking for remedy and learned alot when programming by accident external oscillators etc , but not the symptoms we have on here, and more often than not the search engines take me stright back here anyway lol.
        Soon as i get delivery ive got a few ideas up my sleeve, will let you know.

Matter of interest has anybody on here ever programmed a Atmega 8 chip with sucess?

Regards

Comment

According to what is stated on German website, fuses are 3D, F9 (hex) or in ponyprog configuration like this:
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks tepco, thats good news, using the online fuse calculator, I worked out the fuses should be L3D HD9, I have not tried that fuse configuration yet ,
            problem is when I put those fuse values into burn o mat it seems to select the wrong crystal frequency range, but will try 3D,D9 anyway.

I have been looking around the german site with google translator where did you find the ponyprog picture ?

thanks

Comment

I put ponyprog picture here, result is the same, freq. setting :

Ext-Crystal / resonator medium Freq.Start time 16K CK +64 ms

Add this to AVRDUDE:

-U lfuse:w:0x3d:m -U hfuse:w:0xf9:m

(that is 3D, F9 for low and high fuse)

Comment

I went to reburn the AT8 today but just keep getting "initialization failed"
                maybe I have a problem or I "locked" the chip with wrong fuses.
                So for the moment I give up.

Have ordered 5 from china, lets see what happens with them if they ever arrive .

Comment

Got my delivery today and they sent Atmega 48 Anyways joined the Amega site and will do some indepth studys into programming, its the only way to get to the bottom of it, because theres to much half imformation floating around the net and dont like working blind.
                  Re ordered the correct chips but shall play with these to see what can and cant be done with them on standalone circuit.

Regards

Comment

Hi
                    ok looks like we both have to wait for a while, we will beat these little 28 pin monsters

I have tested the 8 meg xtal and that is working ok
                    cheers

Comment

Hi
                      ok looks like we both have to wait for a while, we will beat these little 28 pin monsters

cheers
                      How is the best way to check them ?

Regards

Comment

Hi

cheers
                        There is two variants of the chip.
                        one is for an 8 mhz clock.
                        The other is 16 mhz clock.
                        would this make any difference?
                        Also on Atmel's site you can download a pdf which explains the variance between the AT90xxx as used in the original Minipuls3 design and the atmega8.
                        This seems that the atmega8 is not 100% completely pin for pin substitute, besides porting software from the AT90xx to the atmega8,there is something to do with reset pin assignment.
                        Just sayin.
                        Cheers
                        John

Comment

Hi John

I dont know much about these AT8 chips.
                          I simply used the same AT8 chip as what satdaveuk used, I did not look at any spec sheet.

I also rewired my breadboard programmer and still getting "initialization failed" so will have to wait for the postie for new chips.

As far as testing the 8meg xtal I made a very simple osc similar to this this one, and listened for the signal on my IC745.
                          Attached Files

Comment

These new AT8 chips are on a very slow boat from china, I am hopeing for late next week

Comment

These new AT8 chips are on a very slow boat from china, I am hopeing for late next week
                              I got delivery of the atmega8 chips and having same problem.
                              Made a bare bones standalone setup without external xstal on breadboard to read the chips default settings which use internal 1mhz oscillator.
                              I cant read it on pony 2000 just get -16 not reading hardware.
                              Using iscp programmer with buffer chip i posted on here, the led winks as if its reading, but nothing.
                              Programming is the same, writes ok led flashing takes 30mins then varyfi fails.

I dont get it at the moment, it shouldnt be rocket science just to read a chip in default from the factory.
                              As said in another post reading/ flashing hex files with the PIC series is childs play, so why the complication with atmega chips.
                              There both flash chips so why ? with all the brain power on this forum and beyond should have been sorted ages ago.
                              Tryed reading the atmega48, same problem.
                              Want to get the bottom of this so i can move on to Moodz project, thank god his is based around the PIC series.
                              Dont give up we will get there.
                              Regards

Comment

Originally posted by satdaveuk View Post
                                I got delivery of the atmega8 chips and having same problem.
                                Made a bare bones standalone setup without external xstal on breadboard to read the chips default settings which use internal 1mhz oscillator.
                                I cant read it on pony 2000 just get -16 not reading hardware.
                                Using iscp programmer with buffer chip i posted on here, the led winks as if its reading, but nothing.
                                Programming is the same, writes ok led flashing takes 30mins then varyfi fails.

I dont get it at the moment, it shouldnt be rocket science just to read a chip in default from the factory.
                                As said in another post reading/ flashing hex files with the PIC series is childs play, so why the complication with atmega chips.
                                There both flash chips so why ? with all the brain power on this forum and beyond should have been sorted ages ago.
                                Tryed reading the atmega48, same problem.
                                Want to get the bottom of this so i can move on to Moodz project, thank god his is based around the PIC series.
                                Dont give up we will get there.
                                Regards
                                I know you've googled just about about everything there is concerning AVR programming ... but did you see this?
                                http://elecrom.wordpress.com/2007/10...vr-programmer/
                                Perhaps you can spot some difference between the procedure here and what you're doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X