Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a Metal Detector

Hello everyone!
    New member here. As you can probably see, i am from Athens, Greece and i am interested in Rockhounding and hunting for "Relics", of course, by relics i mean everything from 1821 AD on (anything older in my country is considered antiquity and it is illegal to posses), mostly i am interested in relics from wars and such.

The main reason i signed up is to get information about home-made metal detectors. In my country they cost a lot of money and i cannot afford them and i also afraid that they will not be efficient.

I would like only the most efficient detector that can be.
    I do not care about visual interfaces, LCD screens and such. Headphones would do just fine. What i want is simplicity and efficiency.

And that is the main question. Are home-made metal detectors good, or should i save for a factory-made?

My electronics experience is little, but i can work well with a schematic and/or blueprint, and i know a few people that might help me with this project.

So, if i make one after all, i hope to share the building process with you all, something like "tutorial".

Thanks in advantage.

The TGSL is probably the best documented project on this site that fits your requirements. There is a huge amount of information posted. I would recommend reading through it to familiarize yourself with what you are up against.

This is a good place to start: http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15710

There is also a Kit of parts available that has been well written up.

Good Luck

Jerry

Comment

If you can tolerate digging all targets - i.e. no descrimination of target alloy - then a good starter is the Surf Pi. Cheap and fast to make, easy coil to build in minutes.

This machine works on wet sand and underwater, soil etc.

It is good fun, I have found small roman coins with this det.

S

Comment

I like digging.
        Only problem is that when you are digging in Greece you have to be extra carefull because of all the land mines and bombs that are left around over the years, but generally, no problem at all with digging.

But, because of the above reasons, discrimination would be preferable.

I will probably build a TGSL then, but before i do that, i might build that Surf Pi to familiarize myself with detectors. If it is more easy to build than TGSL (i guess it is).'

Also i would like to know if there are schematics/blueprints for a home-made probe. These handheld, small detectors, you know.

Comment

hello welcome
          i would recommend
          surf pi pro
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HS7-...feature=relmfu

and baracuda legend
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTvmt...hannel&list=UL

wonderfull fast to build pi machines with good performance

regards

Comment

How does a Baracuda Legend compare to a TGSL? Are there big differences n efficiency?

Also, with what factory-made detectors currently in the market, can these two be compared with? Excluding of course displays, and counting on efficiency in terms of penetration and the size of the objects they can detect.

Comment

Originally posted by RelicHunter88 View Post
              (anything older in my country is considered antiquity and it is illegal to posses)
              ...meaning: archeologists in my country are lazy as a fatass on a couch with a beer, so they need stupid laws to enforce their laziness and portray it as very important for my country's prestige. As we all don't already know how epically lazy and useless they are
              Welcome to the club. Some of us already work on "stealth" metal detecting techniques

Comment

Originally posted by Davor View Post
                ...meaning: archeologists in my country are lazy as a fatass on a couch with a beer, so they need stupid laws to enforce their laziness and portray it as very important for my country's prestige. As we all don't already know how epically lazy and useless they are
                Welcome to the club. Some of us already work on "stealth" metal detecting techniques

Comment

I believe we are talking of-topic, something against forum rules, but i can say that most Greek laws are illogical, irrational, unfair, unequal, contradictional and full of loop-holes, for those with big wallets that can afford the big advocates.

For the simple people, is something you have to live by.
                  Even if you want to break this specific law, the penalty is severe, and the imprisonment condition suck so much, that you would wish you never broke this law.
                  I will tell you one thing. 30 people in a cell designed for 5, and one toilet.

In my country archaeologists are not the whole problem. Even big politicians (ex-prime ministers and ministers) have been accused for illicit possession of antiquities, so as you can imagine, they would love to get their hands on everything of value.

But in any case, no "stealth stuff for me".
                  I will play legally.

Can we go back to detectors now..?

Comment

Suit yourself. A detector is a detector, with or without shaft, but a person waving with it in public will draw some attention. I am not fond of that kind of attention.

I'd be happy if detectors are deregulated in my country, but trouble is - they are not even regulated to begin with. There are just some stupid laws against any relic hunting, and also for charging people money if they accidentally find something on their property. In practice these laws are defunct, and no one, not even vandals, ever get fined. But I don't want to test my luck.

Heck, if red verbatim, the above mentioned law will prevent you from planting daisies - you might stumble upon some relic in a process.

My point is - you decided to build a detector. The best discrimination on this planet will not tell you the age of what you find, and it is entirely up to you what you'll do with your finds.

Comment

In your country perhaps is up to you to decide what are you going to do with your finds.
                      In my Country, you have to call the archaeological services and give them everything you found (you will probably be suspected that you kept something anyway) and get a thanks, at best, as reward.

No if you want to risk going to jail big time, suit yourself.

Yes, you are going to draw attention, that is why is always better to follow the law. Even if you think that no one saw you, you might get a visit from the police, or a couple of guys with masks, wielding AKs. Still want to risk it?

Anyway, let us continue this discussion in PMs. I believe that forum rules have already been broken.

Comment

What kit should i get for a TGSL?

This?
                        http://www.silverdog.co.uk/shop/inde...&product_id=99

Or this?
                        http://www.silverdog.co.uk/shop/inde...product_id=111

Also, does someone know what the shipping costs are inside E.U?

Comment

The IGSL and the TGSL are different.

IGSL has 2 Disc channels

TGSL has 1

So TGSL is easier to make and ALIGN and USE in the field.

The IGSL has a tone for Fe and one for non Fe
                          The TGSL has only one tone

I would start this if you have acces to a scope.

No Scope - I would take my chances with the mines and a Surf Pi.

As for the postage its about 2000 Euros

S

Comment

"... that most Greek laws are illogical, irrational, unfair, unequal, contradictional and full of loop-holes..."

Serbian laws too... if there is any comfort in that! Same or even worse situation here!

"...In my country archaeologists are not the whole problem. Even big politicians (ex-prime ministers and ministers) have been accused for illicit possession of antiquities, so as you can imagine, they would love to get their hands on everything of value...."

Back in 1993. i resided there on Crete island. Mitsotakis was president and that autumn he was about to lose elections from Papandreou.
                            But few months before the elections, i remember, he organized reception with cocktail party in his villa, on the hill, over the Chania, the place i lived.
                            Among other guests; Melina Mercouri was there too (if i remember well).
                            So at one moment she spotted (legal version) some antic "stones" in courtyard of his hold.
                            Next day started huge campaign over him and claims that he abused his position and literally robbed the citadel of Acropolis by taking archaeology artefacts from there to use them as ornaments at his estates.
                            So... nothing new really. Here we have similar situations repeating pretty often.
                            Politicians, officials and most of all; people from profession (Archaeology) are the ones who are usually making big abuses, while at the same time huge public outcry is still focused only to us - the hobbyists!
                            Criminal statistic in last 40 years is telling us that, is not my own construction.

Comment

ivconic, yes, i was referring to the "would be president of the Hellenic republic" Mitsotakis.

It is sad to know that laws in your country are unfair too. It i not a comfort at all!

Anyway, we can keep discussing laws via PMs.

golfnut. i do not have an oscilloscope. I am not sure, but i think that you can set one up usng a microphone and a computer? I heard something like that.
                              Anyway, i cannot afford a proper one.

A discrimination between Fe and non Fe would be nice to avoid potential mines or bombs left from the wars, but at the same time, i may lost some relics. So i do not mind. I will be extra careful when i dig anyway.

I guess i will go with a Surf Pi then?
                              But it is relatively good? What depth should i expect?

As for the postage, i believe you mean 20,00€ ???

Comment

Working...
                              X