Commercial Coil for Surf PI 1.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial Coil for Surf PI 1.2

Have finally got my Surf PI working nicely with a coil I made for it. But I am not sure I want to take the coil to the point of being a working in the field coil.

Just wondering, Garrett Infinium mono coils are cheap enough are they likely to work fine with the Surf? What about any other commercial coils? I don't really want to have to buy to test and find it doesn't work!

I have searched the forum, I have used the forum search and a google site: search and haven't been able to come up with anything, thought it would be a good opportunity for those running their Surf on commercial coils to add their input.

Originally posted by Ben78 View Post

Just wondering, Garrett Infinium mono coils are cheap enough are they likely to work fine with the Surf? What about any other commercial coils? I don't really want to have to buy to test and find it doesn't work!
    Garret Infinium mono coil do not suit to Surf PI, cause it is not mono coil in real, but rather something like concentric (despite it look like mono on outside).

Better finish your own coil, it is really simple, and enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by WM6 View Post
      Better finish your own coil, it is really simple, and enjoy.
      Thanks WM6, I can't find any info on 'finishing' coils, plenty on how to wind a coil...

I was thinking of cutting a 11" disc out of some MDF and glueing it to a piece of flat MDF then sealing it and using it to form a fibreglass shell, put the coil in that and fill with resin and mat. But how to make the 'ears' to attach a rod etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by Ben78 View Post
        Thanks WM6, I can't find any info on 'finishing' coils, plenty on how to wind a coil...

I was thinking of cutting a 11" disc out of some MDF and glueing it to a piece of flat MDF then sealing it and using it to form a fibreglass shell, put the coil in that and fill with resin and mat. But how to make the 'ears' to attach a rod etc etc
        There are different way how to finishing coil.

Here one example. As for PI coil prototype I use often as coil basis very cheap flower pot saucers. I put windings in a saucer flap and potted with epoxy. Ears can be made from L plastic profile and glued with epoxy on coil too. Finally you can use desired non-metallic colour spray on it.:
        Attached Files

Comment

Sweet, good idea

A frisbee would be good too hey?

Comment

I use a Minelab 11'' commander mono coil for my baracuda and chance pi and works great. You might have to change the dampening resister for optimal performance. There is a diagram somewhere on this forum of the pin connections. Only downside is the price of their coils. I think Hayes electronics still sell blank search coil shells for a good price.

Comment

You could buy a coil cover from a coil like the 8" doughnut coil from tesoro and then wind your own coil in it. Thats what I am thinking of doing.

Comment

Thanks FK - I've been looking at the Coiltek Platypus, 12x9 elliptical mono and is waterproof.

Grizzly, I've been thinking the same thing. Except using the 11" Minelab mono coil skid, which is a 11" disc.

Comment

WM6 thanks
                  thats a neat idea with the flower pot

Comment

Why not just contact White's and ask them what they want for the Original Coil?

Comment

Mono acrylic

Hi,

This is my latest design.
                      Layered acrylic, epoxy and polycarbonate.
                      It will work with your PI.
                      And very well, if I do say so myself.
                      Has shielding, the wire is dual core shielded.
                      Attached Files

Comment

How much Tec ?

Comment

To sell ? $59

To make,
                          The laser cutter charges tooling cost,
                          Then fairly cheap to cut out the acrylic parts:
                          $9 per complete coil set.

Used 'Draft sight' free drawing program to draw up the shapes.

The mounts are polycarbonate they are $6 for the pair (too much).

Glued with acrylic glue,
                          filled with epoxy.
                          The shielding is slotted foil.

Tec

Comment

Hi Tec
                            sorry yes how much to sell, i see $59
                            do you have them for sale here in Oz already
                            are they water proof ?

Comment

hello tec

why do you think that this coil works well