Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which detector principle would be best for this particular purpose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which detector principle would be best for this particular purpose?

I need to search a relatively small piece of land to find small silver and copper coins amongst larger pieces of iron (nails, screws, horseshoes). The easy ones have been picked up already by others. I think there are some more, not necessarily deep. Nobody likes to dig iron, me neither. Someone mentioned a BFO with some 10 - 15 cm coil could get some 10-15 cm depth on a coin sized target and not suffer too much (or at all) from iron masking. A non-motion detector could work better in this area as there is quite some weed. I want to discriminate out as much iron as possible and still get signals from all other metals including "foil".

I have a C.Scope CS1MX, which is quite good, but it is motion-type and the coil is maybe just a little too big to fit in. Tesoro Silver uMax just does not unmask with my favorite SEF 12x10 coil, I yet have to try it with the small 5.75 concentric if it can get any better.

I am considering a non-motion C.Scope with a very small coil - one like asolone. Would a simple BFO work?

There is nothing wrong with motion compensated detector. Just aim for something with iron discrimination, like IGSL, and you are on.
    I'd say there is a middle path between a motion and non-motion detectors, and that is a slow motion. Every motion compensated detector can be modified for slow motion.

Comment

Originally posted by pelanj View Post
      I need to search a relatively small piece of land to find small silver and copper coins amongst larger pieces of iron (nails, screws, horseshoes). The easy ones have been picked up already by others. I think there are some more, not necessarily deep. Nobody likes to dig iron, me neither. Someone mentioned a BFO with some 10 - 15 cm coil could get some 10-15 cm depth on a coin sized target and not suffer too much (or at all) from iron masking. A non-motion detector could work better in this area as there is quite some weed. I want to discriminate out as much iron as possible and still get signals from all other metals including "foil".

I have a C.Scope CS1MX, which is quite good, but it is motion-type and the coil is maybe just a little too big to fit in. Tesoro Silver uMax just does not unmask with my favorite SEF 12x10 coil, I yet have to try it with the small 5.75 concentric if it can get any better.

I am considering a non-motion C.Scope with a very small coil - one like asolone. Would a simple BFO work?
      A BFO would be useless for the conditions you describe, especially if you hate digging iron. It sounds like you need a motion detector with a very small coil. Try a 4" concentric coil with your Tesoro Silver uMax, like this one ->
      http://www.metaldetector.com/tesoro-...-pin-connector

Comment

I believe that a ISGL, King Cobra, or similar would be sufficient.

But i thing you basically need something that will detect small metallic objects at 20-30cms+ depth, and has ferus - non-ferus discrimination?

Comment

When I ran my modded Cibola with GB and the 5.75DD coil through my nail infested (and already heavily minerelized Wa. soil) yard which I had gone over numerous times with the 9X8C (which went off on every nail), it hardly made a peep unless there was a valid target. I found a key, a brass clasp and a wheat penny that I'd missed with the 9X8. I would say go for a DD coil to battle the iron. (Modded Cibola optional)

Comment

Originally posted by Davor View Post
            There is nothing wrong with motion compensated detector. Just aim for something with iron discrimination, like IGSL, and you are on.
            I'd say there is a middle path between a motion and non-motion detectors, and that is a slow motion. Every motion compensated detector can be modified for slow motion.
            The problem is that a motion detector with 8" coil will not really fit into some of the spaces. A 6" or smaller could do it - but as the space is restricted, I do not know if there is enough space to swing it, so I though a non-motion detector would be easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
              A BFO would be useless for the conditions you describe, especially if you hate digging iron. It sounds like you need a motion detector with a very small coil. Try a 4" concentric coil with your Tesoro Silver uMax, like this one ->
              http://www.metaldetector.com/tesoro-...-pin-connector
              I have read somewhere that a very old BFO decector was the best one in a similar place - but maybe I just do not remember correctly. I will try the smaller coil I have (5.75"), but I still have such a feeling that my Silver uMax suffers quite a lot with iron masking compared to other detectors. Do you have any idea how deep could the 4" coil get? I would really like to get down to 6", there should not be much below.

Comment

Originally posted by RelicHunter88 View Post
                But i thing you basically need something that will detect small metallic objects at 20-30cms+ depth, and has ferus - non-ferus discrimination?
                That would be a dream come true if I could reach that with 6" or smaller coil - that is most probably next to impossible. What I need the most is solid detection of non-ferrous signals amongst nails and larger pieces of iron - and I am ready to accept a 50/50 ratio of trash/good targets. With what I have now I would have no other chance than to dig it all...

Comment

Originally posted by HECTOR View Post
                  When I ran my modded Cibola with GB and the 5.75DD coil through my nail infested (and already heavily minerelized Wa. soil) yard which I had gone over numerous times with the 9X8C (which went off on every nail), it hardly made a peep unless there was a valid target. I found a key, a brass clasp and a wheat penny that I'd missed with the 9X8. I would say go for a DD coil to battle the iron. (Modded Cibola optional)
                  That might be an option, thanks.

Comment

small silver and copper coins amongst larger pieces of iron (nails, screws, horseshoes).
                    you need something VLF-IB with NOTCH FILTER, yes, maybe King Cobra, with 6'-8' coil.

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by kt315 View Post
                      you need something VLF-IB with NOTCH FILTER, yes, maybe King Cobra, with 6'-8' coil.

good luck
                      What would be the notch filter good for? I thought it was meant to knock out specific targets - as pulltabs, etc. I want to dig all non-ferrous.

Comment

Originally posted by pelanj View Post
                        I have read somewhere that a very old BFO decector was the best one in a similar place - but maybe I just do not remember correctly. I will try the smaller coil I have (5.75"), but I still have such a feeling that my Silver uMax suffers quite a lot with iron masking compared to other detectors. Do you have any idea how deep could the 4" coil get? I would really like to get down to 6", there should not be much below.
                        Without searching for my 4" coil and actually making the test, I think from memory that depth is very respectable and should do the job. Your 5.75" coil will certainly be ok.

To test how much your detector suffers from iron masking, try placing a coin under a rusty nail and see if it can be detected. I suspect the problem you're having is more related to the diameter of the coil you're using, as it can "see" more ferrous targets relative to the non-ferrous. That's why you need a smaller coil.

Comment

You dont want anything different to all of us in europe.

To really help you we need more info.

DO you

Want to build your own machine?
                          Do you want to buy a new machine?
                          Are you going to use your existing machine?

etc
                          S

Comment

Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
                            Without searching for my 4" coil and actually making the test, I think from memory that depth is very respectable and should do the job. Your 5.75" coil will certainly be ok.

To test how much your detector suffers from iron masking, try placing a coin under a rusty nail and see if it can be detected. I suspect the problem you're having is more related to the diameter of the coil you're using, as it can "see" more ferrous targets relative to the non-ferrous. That's why you need a smaller coil.
                            I yet have to try that, but definitely will. I thought the 12x10 DD would separate better lengthwise, but it does not. I kind of expected that the minimum distance where the coin gets detected would be equal to the width of the DD overlap - it is not the case, the diameter of one coil is the minimum distance to register the coin while iron is supressed (minimum disc on the Silver uMax). Even in "all metal", I get a beep only on the nail and not two beeps - nail and coin.

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                              You dont want anything different to all of us in europe.

To really help you we need more info.

DO you

Want to build your own machine?
                              Do you want to buy a new machine?
                              Are you going to use your existing machine?

etc
                              S
                              I could build a detector if simple or from a kit. Preferably using coil from a professional manufacturer (SEF, NEL, Tesoro, etc.)- I do not want to build a coil myself. If not too expensive, I would buy a detector (preferably second hand) just for that as an upgrade of what I already have. I prefer "tesoro style" detectors - take the iron away (or let me know with a low tone) and dig the rest, no display needed, multi-tone optional.

I saw Rutus Jupiter, XP GoldMaxx and C.Scope CS6MX performing really well in iron on youtube. The non-motion C.Scopes could see a coin below nails even better.

Comment

Working...
                              X