Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie Help

Hello all

I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction, I am looking to build a metal detector very much like the little wizard, I am very new to the world of metal detecting and would like to know the best forum threads to read, I guess maybe a general direction for the type of coil that would be best for this small metal item etc.

The point of the detector would be ideally a very small 3"x3" or small pcb with a coil no larger than a soda can diameter to look for very small sewing needles left in leather and denim jackets.

If anyone had a idea of the type of detector and or coils that would be best for this I would be very appreciative.

thanks
    Chad

Hi ae5la

-appears you want the good Pinpointer
    best time
    j.

Comment

Is there a kit i should be looking for or are they all pretty much the same?

Thanks for the info

Comment

Sewing needles are difficult to detect. There is a probe made for prospectors called the Falcon MD-20 that is made to detect incredibly small gold nuggets, it would be your overwhelming best bet. It's relatively cheap, too.

Comment

you can study the Hammerhead PI. Carl's PCB has a size 51 mm x 59 mm. tune it on 10.000 pps, take MAIN DELAY as min as possible, etc. you have to get the result.

Comment

Hi ae5la
            more data
            http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17023
            best time
            j.

Comment

Thanks guys wow di I have alot to learn, i am unsure what all the jargon is but i will do a little reading and see what I can come up with. Thanks again for all your suggestions and keep them coming if you think of anything else.

Comment

Wouldn't a BFO detector be suited to ae5la's needs? Simple to make, sensitive, limited depth.

Comment

Not at all sensitive enough, esp. if the needles are stainless.

Comment

Maybe something based on Barkhausen effect http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWdbRX5Nyg4

Comment

Originally posted by Davor View Post
                      Maybe something based on Barkhausen effect http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWdbRX5Nyg4
                      That only works if the needles are magnetized.

Comment

Ok, the metal needles I will be searching for would be rather large, I am looking for a way to check for syringe needles in a pair of jeans or jacket pocket before sticking my hands in them and getting stuck by something. Ideally the smaller the detector the better, I saw some posts on a cheap Harbor Freight Pinpoint style detector that may actually work.

Comment

Originally posted by ae5la View Post
                          Ok, the metal needles I will be searching for would be rather large, I am looking for a way to check for syringe needles in a pair of jeans or jacket pocket before sticking my hands in them and getting stuck by something. Ideally the smaller the detector the better, I saw some posts on a cheap Harbor Freight Pinpoint style detector that may actually work.
                          In that case I would try one of these ->
                          www.garrett.com/securitysite/pdf/s_superscanner_specification.pdf
                          http://media.whiteselectronics.com/m...ix100color.pdf

Comment

You need to get a consultation from Eric Foster via e-mail directly privately. May be to pay for it because Eric is on charge all time. Nobody here will give you useful information, believe me because I am here all time and see only a people discussing around BFO's and does not wish to up their knowledge. I do not write it is a bad, but it is normal.

Comment

The Subject is simple--- buying any of the available market!!!!!!!
                              j.

Comment

Working...
                              X