• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phase on MXT PRO

Good evening,
    I saw on the pcb MXT PRO, varicap called "PHASE"
    What is it?
    the components used to adjust the phase of the ground?
    What happens if I try to adjust it to have greater reactivity of the machine?

Thank you,
    Angelo
    Last edited by ansi; 06-05-2012, 08:21 PM. Reason: wrong photo

GENERAL ADVICE: If the machine works, don't fix it. If it doesn't work and you don't understand how to fix it, don't fix it. Get it fixed by an authorized repair center or by the factory.

Advice in this specific instance: since you haven't said the machine needs to be fixed and you admit you don't understand the function of the component labelled "phase" much less how to adjust it properly, don't mess with it!

--Dave J.

Comment

Dave, your advice is smart.
      But how you expect people to learn something by not been allowed to experiment?
      I am not saying here: "Go and bust it! Turn trimmers and see what will happen!"
      I just want to support natural human curiosity to explore and learn!
      There are no exact books which explains metal detector circuitry in details.
      No such thing. Still, this technology is kept as holly secret away from amateurs and enthusiasts.
      There is no other way to learn but to experiment and collect own experiences.
      My advice will be: ok, turn the trimmer, see what will happen, but later turn it back to exact position as it was before.
      To ensure that; first measure trimmer position, measure exact resistances (capacitance in this particular case) between it's pins.
      Cheers!

Comment

Hi,

This is the correction phase (reference) for the phase shifters in 4053 - nothing more.

Regards
        Taktyk

Comment

My question is just to understand what is in practical terms, this adjustment.
          I would agree only to assess whether or not to try to regulate it, otherwise do not touch anything!
          Thanks to everyone, even those who are having fun!

Comment

Oh, i am laughing because your question reminded me on my own curiosity.
            If there is some trimmer; there is no way me to resist not tu turn it and see what will happen.
            That's how i busted several devices, but also that's how i learned few things too.
            So i am having fun mostly on my own account!
            Cheers!

Comment

Dear ivconic,
              I thought you were joking,
              unfortunately I'm curious, I need to learn more about the instrument.
              I asked this question on this forum because the whites did not answer me, told me not to touch anything! This has made me more curious. If someone explains in practical terms what is it, I'm no engineer. electronic.

thanks,

Comment

Most of the existing trimmers on any device; if you turn them, will not produce any electrical damage, so don't worry. Only some rare trimmers in powers supply stages can cause eventual damage. But in most of IB metal detectors i've seen so far there are no such "p.s." trimmers.
                So you don't have nothing to worry about in that particular case.
                BUT! Before turning any trimmer, resistive or capacitive; FIRST mark it's exact position. Use alcohol marker or similar. Or, even better; use multimeter and measure resistance or capacitance.
                Than, later you can freely turn it and examine it's function.
                In case you don't like md behavior - you can always turn it back to previous position.
                Usually; manufacturers will not disclose any details on their products except in case if product is discontinued long time ago. Even than some manufacturers will keep most of details as secret.
                That's why many enthusiasts became local "servicers" too! There are countries without customer support. So what else can man do in such situation?

Comment

The phase of the MXT-PRO is a coil that can be adjusted with a destorniador nonferrous rather plastic or wood. This coil has an adjustable ferrite core having 3 or 4 laps or so. I had a MXT-PRO and I have played this reel from the first day, because the detector in the field behaved very badly with hot rocks. Every so often I went out on the screen the message Hot Rock and after touching the coil it around to the back, the message has disappeared completely and the detector worked perfectly. If you touch nothing will happen to the detector, on the contrary, you will learn new things.

Comment

Taktyk is correct, the Phase adjust sets the demod timing. If you mess with this, the unit won't ground balance correctly and the VDI numbers will be skewed. But, as Eduardo found, you might be able to tweak it just enough to make hot rocks go away, though there might be other consequences.

Comment

I really worked perfectly, because I've done very carefully and experimenting with hot rocks. I've been happy with the phase shift. If not touched, not learned.

Comment

I thank everyone for the advice, I think that this command is set standard to operate the instrument everywhere, making small adjustments you could optimize for their own land. I also have problems with hot rocks. As soon as I try to adjust it, I'll know.

thanks ,
                        Angelo

Comment

Gee Wizz Dave...
                          I don't think ansi needs a daddy. This is a place to learn and experiment! No authoritarians allowed here...only electronic anarchists!

Comment

Thanks Kjamesgraham,
                            I like to experiment, but trying not to break anything but to improve performance, it is very satisfying to try to improve what is already good. I still have not tested it, because I'm testing other coils, then you'll know!

thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X