Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need help with a Whites Classic II Sl modification.. NEW POST !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help with a Whites Classic II Sl modification.. NEW POST !

I know now how to install the GB and Threshold pots but now for the Boost Mod I received info that the R7 can be replace with a 51 ohm and the R24 to 1 meg but can someone give me the wattage for these ? Thanks everyone for providing the correct info for me to do this mod but I'm still a novice so I'd feel better know I have the correct resistors.
    Thanks Again Everyone ! Geotech ROCKS! Woodstock

The resistances are 1/4W. You should also replace the R25 for a 1K and thus gain more sensitivity. Regards.

Comment

About the Whites Classic II boost mod..

First I was told I needed to replace the R7 and the R24 for the boost mod. I just received a message for one of the Geotech members to replace the R25 with a 1K. Now my question is this. Do I replace three resisters the R7-R24-R25? Or was I misinformed about the R24 and only have to replace two ? I'm a bit confused now so do I replace three or two? And again THANKS or the quick replies and all of your help so far. Now I just need clarification on how many before I get the parts I need. I also have some resistors in my parts box and all of these are color coded. Is there anyway to tell by color what is what ?
      Geotech Rocks! Woodstock

Comment

You have to replace the 3 resistors. All are 1/4W, respecting the above values.

Comment

you may try and let us in course what result you get... but I did change all R24 R25 R26 and U4 back. I have to sorry Mr. Bill Craftbee I made this back but the IDX with the mod was too noised and spiked up. it was a problem...

have a nice Day

Comment

Thanks everyone for the tech info..

Thanks for all the good info and advice. I'm going to try to get this done by this coming weekend and I'm going to replace the three you advised or the R7 - R24 - R25 and I hope I put them in correctly so if anyone knows what COLORED STRIPES are on the TOP orthe BOTTOM (standing mount like the factory) this must matter, right ? And that will be my final question for all the geotechies out there in cyberland and I will post my results when I'm finished. Thanks to everyone who's been there for me with the information I needed and thanks Geotech for a great website and great people. Happy Trails to All, Woodstock
            ~aka~
            Jeff

Comment

Thanks everyone for the tech info.. One more time !

If I'm asking to much I have one more question below this post. I hope I made it clear enough to understand.... thanks again everyone ! HH, Woodstock ~aka~ Jeff

Comment

Hi Woodstock,

To figure out the color codes for the resistors you want to install, you will need to refer to a color code chart, see here, click on the image to see ti full size. http://www.leonaudio.com.au/res_code.htm

So for a 1K resistor, you will be looking for: brown black red gold. That is
                br bl red gold
                1 0 00 +-5%

Post back the resistances of the other resistors and what you think the color codes should be so I know you have learned something today

Cheers Mick

Comment

1=51 ohms
                  2=1K
                  3=1M.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Jeff, I can teach you VERY speedy this colour code you will grasp it momentary.

first step. write all MAIN colors of the rainbow in series you know. begin from BLACK - because black is absent of light you have to know that.

Comment

While we are at it. Does anyone know what is needed to use a max950 or any of the max coils on a classic that uses the 6B coils? The only thing I see different in the schematics is C2 changed from 390p to 680p. Anyone see anything else that needs to be changed?

Comment

After comparing schematics I came up with this.

stock classic I classic II
                        C1=.001uf
                        C2=390pf
                        C32=.1
                        R1=390ohm
                        R2=180k

8" coil (not sure if it's a max)
                        C1=.1uf
                        C2=330pf
                        C32=.22
                        R1=1k
                        R2=330k

Classic ID with max coils
                        C1=.001 ?
                        C2=680pf
                        R1=1k
                        R2=330k
                        C32=.15

Comment

for Jeff. resistor & capacitor colour code. you need only looking at the sky. no more.

All you need to remember is this: ROY G BIV (or ROYGBIV). These letters stand for the order of the colors of the rainbow, which are: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, and Violet.

Another way to remember the order of the colors of the rainbow is to recite the phrase Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain.

Attached Files

Comment

QUICK DUMB question ???

howdy all...
                            i've been following this thread, and also modding my clasic ii sl .... for lack of common knowledge... i'm wondering what the 3rd surface mount potentiometer is for....
                            VR1 - ground balance - 50k pot
                            VR4 - threshold - 100k pot
                            VR3 - ?????????? - 10k pot

depending on what it is, would there be any advantage to adding a 10k pot while i'm at it???
                            thanks, anthony

Comment

VR3 - DISCRIMINATION preset. the preset is FOR NON-FERROUS TARGET.

Comment

Working...
                              X