Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PI metal detector with energy recuperation

Hi all !

2 years ago I decided to make my own PI metal detector . For the first time I made some experiments with well known PI technology , but one day a very beautiful idea came to me - I found a way how to store and recuperate the energy that we usually waste in the resistor connected in parallel to the sensor coil . I tried this idea and found that it really works . So we can either decrease power consumption of the device or radically increase the pulse energy with the same current from the battery . And after some research I made the prototype , it shows quite a little energy consumption and some other interesting features . Now I decided to publish the circuit of this device - maybe you find it interesting ... But how can I attach the pictures ?

Best regards
    Dmitry

You can upload attachments after your first posting. So now give it a try.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Carl-NC View Post
        You can upload attachments after your first posting. So now give it a try.
        OK , I'll try now ....

Comment

I tried , but it's still don't work - "You may not post attachments" in the posting rules ...

Comment

You were too fast for the system... it updates every hour, so your promotion to regular "member" had not happened yet. Try now.

Comment

Thanks , now it works OK .
              So here is the circuit :
              Attached Files

Comment

What a coincidence!? Sinclairuser will be very happy with this one!

Comment

As you can see , the first idea was not to stop the coil current , but to reverse it , using the LC resonant circuit . The first step is to charge the coil ( phase A-B on the time diagram ) , then we have a flyback ( phase B-C ) and current reverse ( just like TV deflection works ) , and after this - the coil voltage drops to the ground and the coil current begins to recuperate . But the metal response begins just after the flyback , and at this moment we have a rapidly decreasing current in the coil , so it will be a great problem to select our signal .

So I deciced to use a trick - just after the flyback I open the mosfet switch , and let the current circulate in the shorter chain ( coil , mosfet , diode ) . Now I'm wait for about 100 uS - phase C-D on the right diagram ( and receive the metal response ) , and after it - shut down the mosfet switch , allowing the current to flow back to the power supply . In another words - we use the current , and then return it

In order to get the signal from the coil I use the current transformer TR2 ( on the power chain circuit ) . Its output current goes both to tilt compensation circuit and to processing board . Compensation must be used due to losses in the coil chain , so without the compensation we'll have a current decay that will be mixing with the received signal .

Comment

You attracted my full attention with this one!
                    But i don't understand much of this?!
                    I am too slow lately, will need couple weeks to analyze all the details!
                    Would help much if you explain details on those transformers.
                    Anyway, even if i don't understand it quite well: it looks very interesting!
                    Any additional photos of device? Videos? Tests?

Comment

So , for example , if we have coil current 2 A , and coil wire resistance 0,2 Ohm - we'll have 0,6 V voltage drop , plus about 1,2 V forvard drop on the high-voltage diode ... so we need to apply 1,8 V into the coil chain in order to compensate the loss . And if we do that - the coil current ( without the metals near the coil ) will be constant during all the measuring interval . But the losses in the coil chain depends on temperature , so I use another trick - I let the current after my current transformer TR2 flow through 2 little diodes ( 1N4148 ) and one copper resistor .... the idea is that this network will behave itself when temperature is changing just like the main sensor coil chain does , and if I amplify this voltage and apply it to the coil chain in right polarity ( through the TR3 transformer ) - I will completely eliminate the temperature effect .

Comment

Originally posted by ivconic View Post
                        You attracted my full attention with this one!
                        But i don't understand much of this?!
                        I am too slow lately, will need couple weeks to analyze all the details!
                        Would help much if you explain details on those transformers.
                        Anyway, even if i don't understand it quite well: it looks very interesting!
                        Any additional photos of device? Videos? Tests?
                        Of course , if I publish it - now I need to explain all the things Please excuse me for this complexity , but I really couldn't make it simpler ... and initial idea seemed so beautiful to me , that I decided to pass it through anyhow . And I did it - now it works . Here are the photos :
                        Attached Files

Comment

wow,

that's art work!!

nice job on the construction !!

Philip

Comment

I cannot believe, so complex circuit and only one control. Seems author of LTC64 with 13 control (13! for God's sake!) need here a lot to learn.

Congratulation deemon, that you even put so complex apparatus to work.

Comment

Hello Dimitry,
                              You blow my mind , very good work and too much for me , i see a nice engineering like the use in space program ...
                              i congratulate for your effort and result ....i realize i am far from your electronics knowledge...it is good to feel in i will try to analyze section to section for my understanding ...thank you for your work
                              Alexis

Comment

Working...
                              X