Building a Metal Detector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi RelicHunter88
    if u need :-soldering iron is type(goot )30W .And its similar.
    -soldering station HANKKO 936,And Series,And its similar.
    -solder 70 sn,30 pb good.
    best time
    j.

Comment

• My recommendation would go for a Weller magnastat. The regulation ju-ju is in a very tip of the iron, and it just can't fail. You chose temperature by a number code of a tip, and you chose how sharp and pointy you wish it to be. Simple and efficient.

Comment

• the previous suggestions are both exellent irons but i must say dont throw that 15w iron away put a micro tip on it and save it low power irons with small tips works for smt(for me anyway)
        i use an iron like this on kit pcbs as some boards are easy to lift pads from overheating i recently got one of silverdogs barracuda kits however and im pleased to say this approach failed and i found the pads so thick and the board so well made that had to use my 25w weller to get good joints!
        all watages have different uses i would say a 30/40w would be a good start but get the model with extra tips (they come in handy)
        and most of all DONT buy a soldering gun they are a waste of money had mine years and its been in a drawer all that time used it twice once to tin/install hf coax and once to tin a carcass ground wire! main reason is 250watt too much power and too much heat it destroys sensitive components utter crap!
        i prefer lower watt irons though thats due to poking around in hf sets but it works for any sensitive electronics if lower wattage irons can make the joint then use them as less watts is less heat and stress on your components
        thanks ally x

Comment

• Thanks for your suggestions guys!

A local store very near my new house sells Weller irons. I was passing by and i saw a poster. I will have to visit them in working hours and see what hey got.

I will also keep an eye for a HANKKO.

Of course i will get tips, they are a must.

Comment

• I'm back, RelicHunter88, had some serious
            OS installation and java autodownload trojan trouble!

You and the greek trojan horse inventors are the culprit!!!
            <just jokin>

thx for the extensive greece info.

Shure, the young men are always the "cannonfeed" for the army,
            low pay, divided from family, girlfriend and job, but this doesn't
            mean the country doesn't waste aka "invests" extended amounts
            of money and other resources into the "military machine".
            1000 millions of Euros (greece perhaps never had).

High suicide rates are always a shame for a country or a
            social system. India as example. Only big losers (have to)
            kill theirselves. And where's the stoic mentality of greece left
            that is able to ignore everything? Vanished 2000 years ago?

> but do not worry,modern Greeks are of peace.

I know this, perhaps greek and bulgarian are the most peace
            loving - I'm analyzing the mentality of many countries since
            quite a time. The problem kids are more the arabic and
            near east ones. In ancient times the horse riding nomads
            or mongols from China have been more dangerous for Europe!

Greece nowadays is a peaceful relaxing holiday place like here:
            http://offtrackplanet.com/destinatio...s-and-beaches/
            is it allowed to treasure hunt there?

> the historical heritage of each country will remain in that country

That's a good point.
            The only problem is that those laws are preventing to find more
            of that heritage at all. Because this whole archeology-activity
            in the most cases is just a farce or a drop onto the hot stone.
            I see this where I live - nothing, no real interest to get relics
            or historical artefacts at all.
            We have also some "historical centers" here in Austria like
            Hallstadt (very old celtic salt region and trading center) or
            Carinthia (many roman villages) but most of this whole
            country is complety "undiscovered" and besides some
            treasure-hunters no one cares about all the lost history.

There exists alot different motivations for treasure hunting.
            Finding a fortune or the big money could take ages or dozens
            of years, but every find is somehow different, its kinda
            outdoor-nature-sports and a technical interesting thing.

Don't worry about the correct soldering iron, better create
            already some masterplan how and where you will hunt.
            This needs some organization, where to store, clean or
            collect your finds, remain safe, find personal support and
            what else is important. Time is money. Better buy a cheap
            used MD and save your tinker motivation for later
            or for the metal detector repair!

As probe you just can cut an old headphone cable with 3.5mm
            plug and use the shielding wire (metal contact directly near the
            plastic) for the ground and one of the two sound-carrier-wires
            for the probe; solder a nail, needle, thick wire or whatever.

Evtl. you better solder a resistor (1k) at the probe-tip if it goes to
            the mic in, because this is sometimes very sensitive input port
            and if the signal is too strong it can burn your soundcards phone input.
            btw. I have downloaded this analyzer, too already, but not
            yet installed. But I have created already almost 10years ago
            ultra-sonic soundfiles where you can play the playstation bootcode
            simple with the computers soundcard to inject it directly into the
            PSX1s mainboard. Works like modchip, just a more genious way.
            My personal invention, but already a relic of retro-gaming.

Comment

• Funfinder, you can hunt in every public area. That includes beaches.
              Of course you need a permission for an "excavation" but is legal to dig a small hole and cover it before you leave.

In the law i suggested, it is meant that it would be legal to search for any antiquities, but if you find them, you would have to keep them inside the limits of the country you found them. With a proper permission it would be possible for these items to be exhibited in foreign museums and then return back. Now if you are a tourist, then everything you cannot take with you will stay in the country you found it. Same thing that happens if you go in Germany for relic hunting and you find guns you are not allowed go take with you (but i thing you can with the proper paperwork).

One billion Euros are not much for a Country like Greece. The Junta of Colonels was spending way more for the army, and there was no debt at all. We can spent many money in Army, Social Care, Education, and everything and we can still have no debt. Problem is, that E.U does not allow us to have national production, so we have almost zero exports and we rely on tourist industry.

I do not know about the probe. I would prefer a factory made one rather that an "improvised", but i may do that if i do not find a probe.
              I have jack and cable from headphones in a box somewhere at the new house. I am still transporting stuff myself. Moving to the new house permanently at Sunday.

Comment

• So the greek government think the beaches are full of antiques?

Seems you are a pro with those greek treasure laws, so:
                Is it allowed to for a tourist having a MD in his backpack
                if he visits greece? For finding rusty nails on the beach surface?

Forget about the factory made "probe", you will not find any to buy.

And if you don't know how to built such a simple tool on your own
                building a metal-detector on your own could be really complicated.

This so called "probe" is just like a grounded antenna-cable.
                The shielding goes to the devices ground and the input grabs the
                coils frequency, the produced waves.
                For the ground connection you should find a little alligator clamp.

And if this is your first soldering project I suggest you will start
                soldering first all the resistors and later the more sensitive parts
                because if you hold the soldering iron too long onto the IC pins,
                something can get overheated and destroyed inside.

In that case - even if all the soldering joints look shiny and good -
                the detector will not work until you replace the bad controller chip.

>
                One billion Euros are not much for a Country like Greece. The Junta of Colonels was spending way more for the army, and there was no debt at all. We can spent many money in Army, Social Care, Education, and everything and we can still have no debt. Problem is, that E.U does not allow us to have national production, so we have almost zero exports and we rely on tourist industry.

I doubt the EU is able to restrict national production at all.
                Why it should be forbidden in Greece if it's allowed in all other
                south-european countries? Most of the fruits and vegetables
                for the european market are coming from there.
                Industrial production may be handled different, but what counts
                is the fact a how big industrial nation a country was already before
                the EU.
                The whole problems starts by making debts at all.
                Debts is the money the people of a country have to achieve by
                work in their future aka taxes. If a country has a very high
                unemployment rate the debts can't get payd back.
                Inflation or hyper inflation destroyes the worth of the money
                so the debts are getting destroyed, too.

Of course at the cost of the population, because its their money!!!
                And here we have the problem - all those south european countries
                always had much higher inflation than the northern ones.

Thats why the Euro-stabilisation-pact was created - but alot
                countries simply ignore it or have already cheated when they
                entered the EU.

Historically seen the more "organised" or call it "disciplined"
                northern european countries created enough power and influence
                to suppress or dominate the weaker ones.
                As example the colonies of Great Britain in Africa or India.

Millions of people from Italy, formerly Yugoslawia and Turkey
                moved to Germany, England and France get jobs there. Why?
                Because the life-situation in their own countries, geting good
                payd jobs etc., wasn't that fantastic.

And I doubt that this happend all just because of the historical
                exploitation of their countries from the rich and mighty ones.
                Some countries simply have a different kind of lifestyle.
                "Best" example ist Afghanistan, were alot people are still
                living like 500years ago!

In ancient times of course Greece was a very powerful nation
                with blooming life-quality, trade and highest philosophy (what
                I personally really appreciate). And we must not forget greece
                was part of the roman and the osman empire.

btw. where I'm living this is also a tourist region - no big difference
                to greece. In the 1930 years Germany made a 1.000 german marks
                limit to pass the border (because of politcal reasons) so the whole
                tourism broke down.

It may sounds funny, but the culprit of all those money problems
                are the: WOMEN !!!
                They always need more money and food because most of the
                time the reason of their lifes is family and children.
                More money leads to more economical competition, leads to
                higher consumer prices and plundering other countries or
                nature ressources! Growth, growth, growth - we see the result
                in overpopulated countries.
                Always more and more people but at the drawback of life-quality!

btw. it is ridiculous paying already 1 Euro for one tomato -
                the dealers and merchands are guilty, too! In earlier times the
                often south-european vegetables and fruits were much cheaper!

sorry for the digression, we have 2 offtopics here -
                greek treasurehunting-laws and greek (european) politics.

At least it is a good lession, because in the end its all just
                about food, money and finding a personal valuable life...

Comment

• The laws of my country are not very of topic, because i live in that country and under these laws.

I believe it would be legal for a tourist to search for old rusty nails on a beach, but passing a metal detector from the airport might be tricky, specially if your passport is not from from an E.U member country.
                  In any case, you should have a Greek with you, just in case.

European Union cannot force laws, it can make suggestions, like "If you remove your grapes (and amputate your wine production), it would be good for the Union, and we will pay you and also the will give money to the farms for removing their grapes."
                  So the greedy government and greedy people agree.
                  E.U did the same thing with our tobacco recently. Cigarette industry had great profits, because Greeks are big smokers.

In that case, i will make the probe myself. I think jap had posted a schematic for it. Time to check it out!

Comment

• technically for this forum seen it is offtopic, of course not in reality.

But you are an educated and clever guy, so you will survive very
                    good in every country. your english is very good and this is luxury
                    not everywhere is granted.

thx for the info about taking MDs into Greece.
                    I guess if it ever should happen I will have the needed precautions.

I may buy the MD in Bulgaria "for EU-Export only" but because
                    Greece is so nice I couldn't avoid it to spent some holiday-days there.

"Probe" is a nice word for a little electrode contact that grabs some
                    electric signal. There also exists 3.5mm mono plugs where you
                    can solder a 1m thin coax cable. Or use some old headspeaker-cable.

The problem in Greece and everywhere in this world is that the clever,
                    strong, influent, tough and skilled ones are exploiting the weak, stupid
                    and too good ones! Guess you're on the save side, 'cause if you have a
                    house you are not poor and if you're english is that good you're no fool.
                    Besides you are a persons with ideas and creativity, also important.

Very good requirements to became a lucky treasure-hunter,
                    even in Greece.

but be still always aware!
                    You may not have heard it yet but just google for bomb found in
                    munich - this happenend a few days ago and a not small part
                    of this town got damaged by "geting rid of that 'new' found problem".
                    I heard it had dangerous acid trigger and you see:
                    american TNT cool and dry stored in deep ground could be still
                    very dangerous. I doubt you will find 250kilo stuff in Greece but also
                    the smaller could became critical.

If I were you I would check out some greek treasure hunting
                    forums and get the whole overview from there. As example
                    what kind of experience other MD users have had in the past
                    with 2nd ww relics. That way you will have a better information.

Comment

• Thanks for the kind words, but i do not own a house. The house is rented. My parents have a house though, but it is in a village 800 kilometers for Athens.

Anyway, if are planning to visit Greece with bus, then do not worry. Bulgarians might check everything thoroughly, but Greeks are usually bored and they do not check, unless they have orders to do so.

If they check you, unless you have drugs or weapons, you are O.K.
                      If they ask you, just say "This is my metal detector" and explain them that you collect old rusty nails.

Airports are another story...

Thanks for the advise, i might check local forums, but usually the rule that "Something has fallen everywhere" applies.

I found schematics and build instructions of various probes, but i do not know what probe i need. 10K? 100K? 1000?

Comment

• Guys need some help. Can someone post some depth measurements in air, using readily available coins and/or typical metal objects, a typical coil, with the best machines out there? My intention is to come up with a low priced metal detector so we can all have a good machine without the price tag of a few thousand $.

Comment

• RelicHunter88,

Having a rented house also is already fine - especially if you can
                          use the complete house for your own incl. sunny garden etc.

I think one very big problem with politics alot people forget is:
                          the new government often has to deal with the "sh*t" their
                          predecessors have botched!

And this is an almost countless row back into the past!

One meaning of life is always geting or making everything better,
                          but alot problems of mankind always remain the same.
                          Like peace, enough to eat, a safe living, interesting jobs etc.

Unemployment is no problem but an achievable goal!
                          Why we produce all those machines, fabrication plants,
                          computers, Trucks, farming and agriculture equipments,
                          milking-machines, washing automates etc?

For geting the "Easy Livin" as Uriah Heep sung!

The reason of work is getin a better life with less work in the
                          future and not getin more and always even more work.

500 years ago the hard working people often died already with
                          35-45 years because their working conditions were so unhealthy.

If the EU prohibits the tobacco and tobacco fields or try to
                          eliminate them it may have good health reasons - even if
                          the often heavily addicted nicotine users don't wanna see them.
                          Personally I think alcohol is much more better than nicotine anyway!
                          Nicotine and coffeine are "cheap" available drugs to make hard work
                          looking subjective easier, but at uncalculatable health-risks.

The EU should support the greek wine and brandy industry -
                          we need more Ouzo and Metaxa for Europe anyway!

Real effective Treasure Hunting is a luxury hobby that can consume
                          extremly much time and other ressources usual hard working people
                          don't have.

You have to calculate at minimum 6h of hunting at one day coming
                          near to satisfying and further motivating results, even at good
                          hunting sites!

800km far from Athens and this is Greece? WOW.
                          Didn't knew this country is so large.
                          Athens may have advantages to meet other treasure hunters
                          personally, but the province may be better for "connections" and
                          remaining anonymous. But it has to be the right spot, though,
                          because not every country-site is full of antiques.

As I visited Bulgaria the last time I was traveling by train from
                          Belgrade I wasn't checked at all, beside my EU passport.
                          And from EU to EU country the border should be open anyway.
                          Or do exist interesting products in Bulgaria that are forbidden
                          in Greece?

Afaik there also exists some MD shops or internet-sales in
                          Greece - and not all of them offers not really provable working
                          Long Range Detectors!
                          But Bulgaria has good prices and more choice possibilities.

You can read the threads "pirate black devil" or "blisstool"
                          and those are just a few. In Varna there is Notsi, also not
                          so far from Greece for a nice shopping trip.

But better get the Jeohunter from Istanbul, Turkey, for the
                          real deep and interesting relics!

Back to this "probe thingy":

the higher the "front-end" resistor, the more the signal will get
                          weakened. But if the signal is already weak, a too high resistor
                          will result in capturing and displaying just a very weak signal.

If the MD produces just ca. 50mWatts of radiation-power,
                          a 1k resistor should work good and save enough for your
                          microphone input.

There also exists a way by using small capacitors
                          to block or weaken frequency input.

As example a 10pF capacitor will block EM noise frequency
                          from 0-10MHz very well while leting higher frequency pass.
                          - as example: if your FM radio via cable antenna receives
                          alot low frequency Electro magnetic interferences.
                          But I don't have the excact capacitor values to weaken a
                          ~10kHz signal ready, so better use a resistor.

Going absolutly save you can try first with a 10k and if the
                          signal output on the computer screen is very weak, solder
                          instead a 1k and try with that one or use an even lower value
                          until you get the best screen frequency output result.

Comment

• Originally posted by straton View Post
                            Guys need some help. Can someone post some depth measurements in air, using readily available coins and/or typical metal objects, a typical coil, with the best machines out there? My intention is to come up with a low priced metal detector so we can all have a good machine without the price tag of a few thousand $.
                            Sorry but seems this is offtopic here as long as you didn't ment
                            the depth of the detector that RelicHunter88 wants to built.
                            Please open a new thread.
                            some tests you can find here:
                            http://www.metalldetektortest.eu/detektortests.html

Comment

• Is this "build a metal detector by Relic hunter"? If it is, than it's off topic.

Comment

• Originally posted by RelicHunter88 View Post
                                T

i might check local forums, but usually the rule that "Something has fallen everywhere" applies.
                                Hello Sir Relic Hunter 88,

are you still working on your new relic detector and planing to find such 'dirty' stuff?

You should check out my forum and read this first:
                                http://darktreasurehunter.freeforums...eapple-t6.html

''Something has fallen everywhere'' that's right, but are you really tough (or lifetired) enough to wanna find it?
                                Don't risk your life for nothing, it's not worth the thrill. You could get mutilated, also; huge losses, real huge...

Comment

Working...
                                X