Replacing a PNP with an NPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a PNP with an NPN

I have seen this come up a couple times so I wanted to start a thread and get the procedure ironed out for this mod. I hope you gurus can shed some light on this subject. In my simple mind this is how the conversion goes,I am not an engineer so this may be all together wrong.The npn must be driven by a gate/base voltage/current which is more positive than the emitter,correct? So in order to drive it we need to raise the batt voltage with a doubler like the 7660,then we can drive the base/gate with this voltage.I suppose we have to run an oscillator from out raised voltage level? I cant seem to figure out the level shifter schem for using the original which runs on batt voltage. Use the surf pi for an example.I have npn igbts with 20pf output capacitance,and 600 volt rating pnp is holding me down.

If you are asking how to replace a PNP coil switch with an NPN, it usually requires a complete redesign of the power supply for the rest of the analog circuitry. Design-wise it's not difficult to do, but it would be a difficult mod because it would be extensive.

Comment

Working...
    X