Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could I build a TGSL coil out of 30awg Kynar wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could I build a TGSL coil out of 30awg Kynar wire?

Simple question really, i have loads of kynar 30awg which looks to be perfect for the TSGL coil in the tutorial.
    Its single core and insulated with Teflon so should be very low capacitance.

Can anyone see any problems?

Also my first project will be a Surf-Pi could i build a coil with this or would i need something a bit fatter?

Regards

Hi, seeing as you have lots of the wire, and it is really easy to wind up "experimental" coils for the Surf PI, you should try it & see (let us know) how it works. Surf PI won't sample fast enough to make use of the low capacitance though

Dave Frank

Comment

I suspect that the Kynar insulation will make the wire od somewhat thicker most 30AWG enamel wire. If so, you might need to add several more turns in your TGSL coil to arrive at your target inductance.

Comment

Actually i think the opposite could be true, the skin on Kynar wire is very thin indeed.
        I will try and see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lefizz View Post
          Actually i think the opposite could be true, the skin on Kynar wire is very thin indeed.
          I will try and see how it goes.
          You can put two or more wires in parallel (even spiral shaped) and build it in manner of Litz wire coils, which are the best for PI.

Comment

Have you got link or picture of what that looks like?

Thanks for the replies, very useful

Comment

Originally posted by Lefizz View Post

Have you got link or picture of what that looks like?
              Look like this (suma of cross sections all tiny wires have to be about equal cross section of suggested wire):
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Vortxrex

I spotted your comment.,,,.

Surf PI won't sample fast enough to make use of the low capacitance though
                Is this a feature of the design? I ask as I have a pcb to build up.

Is it sluggish, are there mods to freshen it.

Steve

Kynar insulation has Er 8.4 wont make a fast coil. Sure be ok though

Comment

Working...
                X