speaker thingy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speaker thingy

I had a bright idea to make my own detector cause i dont have the money to buy one (without getting screamed at by the old lady) I have all kinds of old computer hardware, wiring, etc saved up over the years but no electronics experience other than building or repairing pcs. I can solder though and have bits n pieces of board components. So i found this little pc speaker setup. Has a push button on/off, a volume, headphone input, and a 9v dc charger input. and a little speaker wired to it. Could I just run the wires from a homeade coil up to this thing and a 9v battery and get a noise or would I need a custom pcb for the control box?

You apparently have done no research but then have time to come here and post a ridiculous question? People like you are what's wrong with this forum.

I don't know how good you will detect metal with your 'thingy' but maybe you can pick up the Mars rover. Good luck.

Comment

thanks for the help *******. people like you are why people like me dont come to places like this for help and end up just buying the damn metal detector instead of experimenting. I did my research but sorry to bust it to you but i didnt find anything on using a desktop computer speaker internal to make a working metal detector. go crawl into your troll cave and take a nap cause youve obviously lost sleep learning how to be a douchebag

Comment

To make a detector, you need a PCB for a detector. You cannot just make a detector by connecting a coil to a speaker, although you will need a speaker and possibly some of the components from this "thingy".

But first you will need a PCB. Which you will have to build. Also you may need electronic components if the PCB is not part of a kit.
        Then you can make a coil or find a cheap one from E-bay or an used electronics shop.
        Connect everything together and to a battery and check. You may need an oscilloscope to test properly.
        After that, and if everything works, you will need a PCB housing/control box, and a shaft with hand support and a grip.

And so you have a home made detector.

You can see the topic like "Building a Metal Detector" for how i am building my detector (still work in progress), or the topics for some home-made detectors, like King Cobra, TGSL, IGSL, Surf PI and more.

Comment

thanks that's a more intelligent response..
          Ive been researching but i like to think outside the box. Apparently there's no getting away from making a custom pcb from a schematic. I have a coil layout & I have a swiffer brand floor duster that's the perfect size with an aluminum handle thats hollow, & light weight that was going to be my frame. Guess i will go the traditional route. Thanks for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapjaw View Post
            go crawl into your troll cave and take a nap cause youve obviously lost sleep learning how to be a douchebag
            Hmmmmmm Two whole posts on Geotech and you already calling someone who has been here since 2006 and contributed nearly 800 posts names. Good start.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by porkluvr View Post
              You apparently have done no research but then have time to come here and post a ridiculous question? People like you are what's wrong with this forum.

I don't know how good you will detect metal with your 'thingy' but maybe you can pick up the Mars rover. Good luck.
              thanks for the help *******. people like you are why people like me dont come to places like this for help and end up just buying the damn metal detector instead of experimenting. I did my research but sorry to bust it to you but i didnt find anything on using a desktop computer speaker internal to make a working metal detector. go crawl into your troll cave and take a nap cause youve obviously lost sleep learning how to be a douchebag
              OK guys, please try to be civil to each other.

Trapjaw - as a newbie, you should read some of the information here before diving into the deep end and deciding to build your own detector. I would suggest starting here ->
              http://www.geotech1.com/cgi-bin/page...&file=main.dat
              and, depending on your requirements, progress on to either a Surf PI or the TGSL. The TGSL stuff can be found here ->
              http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15710

Kits are available from www.silverdog.co.uk
              But be aware that Silverdog is currently on holiday, as shown on his website.

Comment

When I started reading this, (saw the pic) I thought it was going to be a nifty little headphone volume control/amp project.
                I think a nicer way to put it would be; "You sound like a first grader who complains because he doesn't understand ninth grade stuff"
                Do some ACTUAL research on theory, then come back here and laugh at your post
                If you are over 18 and know nothing about basic electronics, oscillators, coils and inductive fields...go buy a metal detector.

Comment

It's directed out amp(It's not even contain any tone generator).The answer to the rest of your words the same all responses .
                  -Try to read a lot of information here if you are interested in this field.
                  j.

Comment

thanks that's a more intelligent response..
                    Ive been researching but i like to think outside the box. Apparently there's no getting away from making a custom pcb from a schematic. I have a coil layout & I have a swiffer brand floor duster that's the perfect size with an aluminum handle thats hollow, & light weight that was going to be my frame. Guess i will go the traditional route. Thanks for your time.
                    If you have experience in PCB making, then there are PCB layouts available to laser print and use to make PCBs.
                    Now, if you do not have enough experience in PCB making, i believe you should get a PCB, or a PCB kit that comes with components. They cost, but nothing like the 300$ dollars the same detectors cost to buy.

You can make a very good detector with coil (and maybe another coil) and everything for less than 100$.

These PCB are copies (and some improved) of factory made detectors.
                    But before deciding, you should think about what you want to do with the detector. For example, do you want ferus - non-ferus discrimination?
                    Would you search in soil where dangers like bombs and land mines lurk silently? Then you need as much discrimination you can get.
                    If you need discrimination, you should get a VLF detector.

The people here can advise you in all these.

Comment

If you sit back and read this thread lol Cant help but have a giggle, just as well most of us have broad shoulders.

Comment

Working...
                      X