Possible shield material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible shield material?

I visited a hydroponics shop today and came across some metalized mylar material they use - in rolls sold by the foot. I'm wondering if it would be ok for shielding. It even looks like it could be vacuformed... Its cheap like a couple bucks a foot by ten feet or 3 feet depending upon the material chosen. One side is metalized mylar and the other is black or white.

The only way to find out is buy a foot and meter it to check for continuity

Comment

And then find solution how to solder or establish reliable contact between wire and those shielding.

Comment

And also make sure you wave your coil over it and make sure it is not detectable at all.

Cheers Mick

Comment

Originally posted by satdaveuk View Post
          The only way to find out is buy a foot and meter it to check for continuity

i have mylar birthday banners, they are conductive but have resistance of about 3k per meter, Would this be ok ? its not detectable at all.

Comment

What would be a good test of a shield - one that shows it does what we want?
            I mean it is pretty easy to tell if it is detectable or not but what would we do at the bench level to determine how good it will be at shielding and be able to compare one means vs another to determine the best approach?

Comment

Originally posted by ronbyrne View Post
              i have mylar birthday banners, they are conductive but have resistance of about 3k per meter, Would this be ok ? its not detectable at all.
              I would have thought it would be fine at that level of conductivity,... as it is only connected at one end, it is basically an 'open circuit', and therefore the impedance is very high/infinate, so does't have to conduct brilliantly.

I have just ordered a roll of this from off the 'tinternet,...
              http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3208662491...84.m1497.l2649

It says it can be soldered to, I will post how I get on with it, when it arrives.

Cheers, Fred

Comment

I have just asked that seller a few questions about soldering the tape
                lets see ?

Comment

Well this seller is hopeless
                  this is his answer to my questions

Hello
                  Dear friend
                  I am sorry that I am not clearly about it.
                  Sorry again.
                  Best regards!

- super-seller01

Comment

Working...
                  X