Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your opinions on basic home buildable BFO detectors for pinpointing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your opinions on basic home buildable BFO detectors for pinpointing?

I know BFO is the most dated and least capable metal detecting technology but i'm wondering if, should I build a simple one, it would be an effective for use as a pinpointer given that the range of a pinpointer is less of an issue than in a full sized detector. I ask because i've found a pretty cheep to build and simple one online that even has a PCB layout

http://www.easytreasure.co.uk/bfo.htm

Also if this is a not so good design can anyone recommend me a simple PI or VLF pinpointer that has a PCB layout?

Did you miss this?http://www.easytreasure.co.uk/probe.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Skippy View Post
      Well for one it has a pic and i don't have a pic programmer. I have arduinos but I don't see a schematic and don't want to pay for it

Comment

BFO is probably the simplest pinpointer you can build, and should work just fine. Most pinpointers use a loaded-loop oscillator design, which is similar to BFO in sensitivity.

Comment

Hi
          Good subject
          Over the years ive built many a design of pinpointers right up to recently with a pic chip 876, but still keep coming back to the BFO type.
          Infact funny enough was only thinking the other day wether with new components available maybe its worth having a look to make/design a new full blown metal detector using the BFO format, as the tech seems to have been left on the shelf.

Regards

Comment

Hi Skippy
            The Sherlock they show on there is underated if put in a better housing, then tweeked up is better than the pic pinpointer.

Regards

Comment

Yes, Sherlock/Scanmaster probes work adequately, I have one, fairly modified, of course. But the adjuster knob IS one of the weak points, I broke mine several times - a tiny plastic spigot supporting the lower end of the shaft snaps off if the knob is knocked. I replaced it with a steel pin, and also glued a protection guard onto the case, next to the knob, made from scrap ABS. They are also not remotely water-resistant.
              Regarding the treasureland PIC probe, you don't need a PIC programmer, you buy the pre-programmed device.
              Also, there is the Scarborough-designed BFO mini-pinpointer published in EPE magazine, which you should be able to find on-line (PDF of the entire magazine).

Comment

Yes, Sherlock/Scanmaster probes work adequately, I have one, fairly modified, of course. But the adjuster knob IS one of the weak points, I broke mine several times - a tiny plastic spigot supporting the lower end of the shaft snaps off if the knob is knocked. I replaced it with a steel pin, and also glued a protection guard onto the case, next to the knob, made from scrap ABS. They are also not remotely water-resistant.
                Regarding the treasureland PIC probe, you don't need a PIC programmer, you buy the pre-programmed device.
                Also, there is the Scarborough-designed BFO mini-pinpointer published in EPE magazine, which you should be able to find on-line (PDF of the entire magazine).

which year was that cause i may have made it at somepoint

Comment

Heres a easy cheap pic probe, from micro examples got flash hex code plus c files if anyone interested.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Dave, it was July 2003 EPE magazine. I have prototyped it, it does work, but I did improve it a bit. Despite it's simple appearance, it's a job to get it working, both oscillators drift, but not in a matching way, of course. The RC oscillator is sensitive to stray capacitance/hand pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by satdaveuk View Post
                      Heres a easy cheap pic probe, from micro examples got flash hex code plus c files if anyone interested.
                      Is that just a collpitts oscillator being read by a pic?

Comment

Yes, it's an LC in place of a crystal, the website mentioned on the circuit gives basic details, plus the C code for the in-depth info.
                        http://www.micro-examples.com/articl...p/PicoDetector

Comment

Working...
                        X