Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question, Proton vs cesium Vapor Mags

Hi guys,
    Ive been reading this forum a lot and its filled with really good info, thanks.
    But I have a question I cant seem to find in regards to Proton precision mags and Alkali vapor mags (Im saying alkali and not cesium cause it can really use any other alkali metal such as rubidium).

I know the sensors work differently but my question is what is the difference in result from these two type of magnetometers?

Will the proton mag work better under certain conditions while the alkali vapor mag not work as well or vice verse or is one dependent of the other one?

The proton magnetometer will definitely find anomalies and depending on the software I believe it will say what depths as well, but will the alkali vapor magnetometer do the same?

Hope you guys can help me out with these questions.
    Thanks in advance,
    Paul

There really isn't a difference in the results. They both do the same thing which is to measure the magnetic field strength that the sensor sees. I think the biggest differences are how they operate and cost.

The proton precession mag must first polarize the sensor and then measure the frequency. This means successive readings will be 1 second apart at best. I went to a seminar on cesium magnetometers and this unit would take 10 measurements per second which seemed continuous. It had an audio indicator as well. This cesium mag appeared to operate almost as a metal detector. Inside a breakout room in a convention center the cesium mag was sitting on a table in the front. Off to the side about 30 to 40 feet away someone waved a very small magnet and the audio from the mag wavered as the magnet was moved. Quite impressive! My proton mags won't do that. A Geometrics G856 Proton mag is about $6000US in its most basic configuration. A cesium mag will cost you a lot more than that.
    Good luck,
    Signman

Comment

I've used both.
      Alkali vapor mags have a much faster sampling speed (can be 100's of Hz), so if you are flying around and need to sense quickly then they are great. They are also more "sensitive". However, some of this sensitivity is not hugely useful because operator introduced noise is usually higher. They do suffer from directional issues. They are more expensive.
      Overhauser Proton mags are currently my favorite for ground based surveys. (though I digress). I use a proton mag for a diurnal base station. Its rock solid technology and all low frequency signals, so the electronics is simpler.

Comment

Working...
      X