LongRangeLocators Forums  

Go Back   LongRangeLocators Forums > Main Forums > Long Range Locators

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2023, 05:25 AM
Guru

Default Compass -> Halo effect multiplier

COMPASS DEPTH DOUBLER акa DEPTH BOOSTER, a product review by Gordon Zahara

Just imagine every treasure hunter's dream of being able to go over all the hot spots where he found his best finds and be able to double the depth with his metal detector. That dream has now come true with the amazing new machine called the Compass Depth Doubler.

Nugget hunting is my passion and I am always on the lookout for any new products that can give me an edge when it comes to finding that illusive gold nugget. So when given a chance to test the Compass Depth Doubler, all I could see was the gold I would find that had eluded me in my previous hot spots. I am also the kind of person who likes to see first hand how well a product works before I buy it.

After receiving the Compass Depth Doubler, I read the instructions very carefully. The instructions were very easy to follow and well written. Initial preparation of the unit was simple . The only thing I needed to do was remove the wax coating from the rods with steelwool and treat them with WD-40. Now the Compass Depth Doubler was ready to use.

Like most people I have a very curious nature and want to know exactly how something works. By reading the instructions I found out that the Depth Doubler charges the ground with electricity from a 12 volt battery (not included). This is done by an ionizer or "ground charger". The ionizer steps up the voltage, converts the direct current to alternating current and sends several tight electronic waves into the ground. When these strike metal they create a halo effect around the object. A coin or relic that has been in the ground for sometime develops a similar halo effect. By artificially creating the halo effect, smaller metal objects will appear larger to any detector.

As with anything, learning your equipment is half the battle. Before going into the field, you must practice with your Depth Doubler by setting up your practice test bed. The easy step by step instructions sent along with the machine shows how to set up a test bed. In the test bed you can bury various known objects at different known depths. The signals these objects generate in your detector and headphones can prepare you for similar signals in the field. This practice gives you a head start to having successful hunts.

Any metal detector can be used in conjunction with the Compass Depth Doubler. The White's Goldmaster VSat was used for my tests. When hunting for gold I used a variety of headphones, depending on the mineralized soil conditions and the size of gold. The following list of headphones were tested and found to be compatible with the Depth Doubler.

Fisher Deluxe Headphones Depthmaster Goldrush System and Coolphones Depthmaster Superphone II

Koss ID-81 Headphones

Test 1 was conducted in a nearby hydraulic area with highly mineralized soil. The gold previously found in the area was a various sizes. Rectangular beds of 10 feet by 40 feet to 20 feet by 40 feet were used for these tests. All beds took no longer than 15 minutes to set up. They were all charged for a period of 20 minutes. When the charging was completed the detector coil was placed on the ground and a slight hum could be heard. This slight hum is caused by the charging effect of the Compass Depth Doubler. This hum indicates that the Depth Doubler is working properly I ground balanced my detector and searched the area.

The table below lists the targets that were found in Test 1:

Targets Inside Bed Outside Bed % Increase
------- ----------- ----------- -------------

.2 Grain Nugget 1/2" 1/4" 100%

.8 Grain piece of Lead 2 1/2" 1 1/2" 66.7%

2.4 Grain B.B. 3" 1 3/4" 71.4%

Each target found inside the bed was then buried outside the bed. The depth reflects the same signal volume as found inside the bed. Test results definitely show that the Compass Depth

Doubler increases the depth at which a target can be Found.

Test 2 was conducted in a different hydraulic area. The soil was also highly mineralized and they previously found gold was also of various sizes. However, this area had been worked very hard in the past because of the large quantity of gold that had been found A rectangular bed of 15 feet by 40 feet was set up and charged for 20 minutes. While detecting a .6 grain nugget was found at a depth of 3/4 inches. Upon completion of detecting, the bed was used for testing various sized nuggets.

The chart below lists the nuggets and depths found for Test 2

Target Inside Bed Outside Bed % Increase
------ ----------- ------------ -----------

1 Grain Nugget 2 1/2" 1 1/2" 66.7%

5 Grain Nugget 5" 2 1/2" 100%

10 Grain Nugget 6" 3 1/2" 71.4%

15 Grain Nugget 7 1/2" 4 1/2" 66.7%

Test 3 was conducted in a very interesting area. This area was hydrauliced in the 1850's The hydraulicing uncovered a lode. Therefore the tailing are a mixture of hydraulic outwash and crushed ore from the load mine. As a result both gold in quartz and gold nuggets were found. I used a rectangular bed of 15 by 40 feet and charged the bed for 20 minutes. Detecting the bed I found a 103 grain (4.3 penny weight) piece of gold at a depth of 4 inches. I then buried the nugget in the bed a second time to find the maximum depth. I was able to detect a good target response at a depth of 12 inches.

During the three field tests, I found a total of three gold nuggets with a total weight of 103.8 grains (troy). The smallest piece weighed a mere .2 of one grain, and the largest weighed 103 grains. With this new product I was almost able to recover a quarter of an ounce of gold, not bad for just testing.

Testing has shown that the Compass Depth Doubler really works! It is very easy to set up and can be used with any metal detector. All previous hot spots can be re-worked with up to double the depth on target recovery. In other words, "double the depth gives you double the advantage to finding more treasure". You don't have to limit yourself to gold. Whatever can be found with a metal detector, can now be found at double the depth.

Suggested retail price for the Compass Depth Doubler is $450, plus $15 for shipping and handling. The Depth Doubler comes with a 30 day money back guarantee and 2 year parts and labor warranty. For any type of assistance, contact Compass Depth Doubler, PO. Box 703, Forest Grove, Or. 97116. Phone 503-357-8639, or toll free 800-823-3309.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160619...td4407130.html